- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Towing a three speed not connected to the engine

Towing a three speed not connected to the engine

I'm about to go and pick up my car. I was trying to get a trailer form Uhaul (cause I dont have one or know anyone with one) and even though my vehicle is rated to tow 6000lbs they will not rent me a trailer because their policy states that if a trailer and car is more than the combined weight of the tow vehicle they will not rent it.

My question is this, the car doesnt have the engine installed (it will go into my truck bed) but the tranny (3 speed manual) and the rear axle are intact, would towing this car on a dolly cause any issues that you guys could think of off hand?

Thank you,

Lee

[quote=Fytclub;62199]I'm about to go and pick up my car. I was trying to get a trailer form Uhaul (cause I dont have one or know anyone with one) and even though my vehicle is rated to tow 6000lbs they will not rent me a trailer because their policy states that if a trailer and car is more than the combined weight of the tow vehicle they will not rent it.

My question is this, the car doesnt have the engine installed (it will go into my truck bed) but the tranny (3 speed manual) and the rear axle are intact, would towing this car on a dolly cause any issues that you guys could think of off hand?
    Thank you,
    Lee

If you are towing a long distance I would use a trailer if you can get one. A dolly would be ok if you remove your transmission, because other wise it would be spinning the gears and may spit out oil from the front bearing??

Just put the transmission in neutral and tow away! You might want to cover the input shaft, though, to keep road crap away from the finished surfaces.

Towing closed drivetrain buick

DO NOT use a dolly!!!!

I was trailering my 52 super (sans engine) home and was going very very slowly over some rough tracks and watched in horror as she began to shrink in the rear view mirror. Luckily I was going slow and she stopped when the tire dropped off the trailer and car frame hit the trailer deck.

Some helpful locals drove up, put down their beers, and helped me hump it back on to the trailer with come-alongs. Only damaged my pride and a small dent on the rocker trim.

Lesson learned, I had chained the front a-arms and the rear axle fore and aft. The 50-year old rubber trany mount failed, allowing the car to move forward, drop a hook, then begin that slow roll (shudder).

The engine is a critical component for attaching the torque tube to the car!! The torque tube locates the rear axle front to back and the pan hard locates it side to side, the springs are only held by gravity. Without the engine mounts to help, it is all held in place by the 1x1 rubber trany mount.

Do not use a dolly!! Becareful when tieing down on the trailer and lock the rear axle to the car or use the bumper brackets too.

Call me lucky, jcubed

Lee towing his car

Quote Originally Posted by Fytclub View Post
    I'm about to go and pick up my car. I was trying to get a trailer form Uhaul (cause I dont have one or know anyone with one) and even though my vehicle is rated to tow 6000lbs they will not rent me a trailer because their policy states that if a trailer and car is more than the combined weight of the tow vehicle they will not rent it.

Thank you,

Lee

Hi Lee, All you have to do, mate, is unbolt your propshaft. If the front of your vehicle is off the ground, rear on the ground, and no propshaft turning, there`s no movement in the gearbox, and no damage. if you tow an auto, always either lift the rear or propshaft off. Regards, Mike.

The rear axle should be located fore and aft by two trailing arms connected between the frame and the rear axle. If these are properly connected the torque tube should not pull free from the transmission.

towing torq tube drive buick

You have to understand how a torq tube drive works.It is a drive shaft enclosed inside a tube, [there is no u joint at the differential]. basically only things that connect the rear end to the car is the transmission/tube ball joint , rear antisway bar, springs, and shock absorbers. The 2 retaining arms from the rear axle are connected to the tube, not the car frame. Some transmission gears will always turn with the the rear end when the wheels roll. you havto disconnect the trans from the rear end to keep the output shaft from turning. [recommended for long distance towing]. Torq tube drives are best towed on a trailor.
    Last edited by 39CENT; 06-05-2009 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up renting a truck and a car hauler.

Pics of the new car can be found here:

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16463

Lee