Thread: dex-cool

dex-cool

Does GM still use orange Dex-cool coolant? If GM does not, then when was the last year they used it? Is this stuff as bad as what I'm reading about it---clogging radiators, corroding engine parts, etc?
    ABE

Quote Originally Posted by abe View Post
    Does GM still use orange Dex-cool coolant? If GM does not, then when was the last year they used it? Is this stuff as bad as what I'm reading about it---clogging radiators, corroding engine parts, etc?
    ABE
    well they still used it as of last year when I had to replace a manifold gasket on my suburban. I couldnt place blame on it directly but it may have played a part in that problem.[the engine had a timing/backfire prob.] I didnt know anything about dexcool until i happened to look up the problem on the web, and found out it being suspect in many gasket failures. I used a product from NAPA.

39 Cent
    My stepson's coolant system on his '03 Grand Am (L4 engine) is slowly losing coolant, and it's leaking into his oil. We pulled the valve cover off and there's chocolatey goo around the filler cap area. So we dumped some stopleak into the radiator, and so far so good. The only thing I could think of is that the head gasket is/was leaking. So, I searched the web and found all kinds of info on dex-cool--about 90% bad stuff.
    abe

dex cool

dex-a cool is pritty bad stuff will eat plastic intake gaskets and corode aluminim and cast iron but it will only become this corrsive if the system cannot hold presher or becomes low on coolant. Air in the cooling system is the bigest problem. I have been an automotive tec for 11 years and have seen a lot of prolems . i like to compleatly flush out system with good old geen ethaline glicall 'not the proper spelling' and keep it flush out every 30,000 miles to keep it clean and keep electrolisis down a nother problem with any coolant

Bad coolant

Were are you all finding these bad articles,I would like to read some of them???Thanks

Super
    Just google Dex-cool and you'll find all kinds of info. Like I said, about 90% bad stuff.
    abe