- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: I have a 1960 Buick LeSabre 4Door

I have a 1960 Buick LeSabre 4Door

I would like to know what all i would need to look at when im fixing up the car. What parts should be changed and up dated it is going to be used a lot.

1960 Buick Le Sabre

We need a few clues. What engine and transmission do you have? How many miles on the car? What noises does it make? What have you done so far? How about more photos? Do you have a factory manual? What experience have you had working on cars, things mechanical? Does she leak oil? from where? what color is the leaking fluid?

Safety first!! Brakes, wiring, steering, tires, lights, exhaust. Then comes reliability; THEN make it look good!

I will try to get that asap.

I would like to know what should i do first to it. It runs and drive good the engine could be work over. Im in the Army and work on every thing they have with a motor. So i know a good bit when it comes to cars. This is only pic i have of the engine. Im not with the car right now it is in the states waiting on me to get it back together and runing on the road like it was when it first came out. It has a two speed trans. The engine is the 364.
    Last edited by anthonysoliz; 04-09-2009 at 12:12 PM.

That'd be a 354 nailhead with a Dynaflow tucked behind it. The Dynaflow is a one speed transmission that's good from 0-100+ with a low helper speed that's designed for uphill or mild engine braking. I've got a 60' Les too and the only times I ever use low is going up a couple hills around here or killing my gas milage off the line. I haven't taken low over 30mph but I think it should be fine up to 40. When I got my ride in Febuary first thing I did was change both front brake lines and replace the voltage regulator and rebuilt the generator. Cost about $300 to get all that done. Drove it for a month then went to town rebuiling the carb. Cut out the exhaust since it was rotted and still waiting to put a new set on. Can't make my mind up about twin dual pipes or factory dual with the muffler.

I would reccomend at least that much. Make sure to check the front wheel bearings when you do the brake lines. I've got some wiggle in mine and am stacking up the cash for a kit. Bearings are expensive around here ($70 to $90 per at 2 per side) but I have a catalog coming that supposively has a complete front bearing kit for under $300 so I'll post the companies name when I find out.

Keep an eye out for a donor car though. The body pieces are damn near impossible to find.

As a short list of things to fix:

1: front brake lines
    2: Check starter for need to rebuild
    3: Check Generator for need to rebuild
    4: Replace voltage regulator (remember to polarize both regulator and generator)
    5: Check front bearings
    6: replace ALL bulbs and fuses and get lights working

After that you should be good to go down the road

agreed about the brakes i would also recommend a dual master cylinder I had a wheel cylinder blow and put my car through a fence. I took down 3 chainlink poles and scratched my fender, I have now replaced all my brakes parts exept im still looking for braided hoses.
    1962 Lesabre 4 door seadan
    2007 honda element (at least its american made by UAW workers in East Liberty OH)
    09 Chevy AVEO (100% percent korean assembled, 70% korean parts, 1% usa and canada parts,) Which one is the domestic again i am confused?

good info

hey takes for the info i will keep everybody posted on the car as time goes on.