- Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 56 buick wont start.

56 buick wont start.

i've got a 56 special,I replaced the faulty electric conversion back to points.the motor cranks but will not turn over.any help would be greatly appreciated

The motor cranks but will not turn over is a confusing statement. You will have to explain it more...

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Unless I'm mistaking, he means 'the engine will turn over but won't fire'. Having been raised in both the Chicago suburbs and southeast Missouri, and have lived for the last 20 years in Georgia, I've found a few misunderstandings due to the difference between typical midwestern and typical southern dialects. A hex nut in the north can be a tap in the south; a fork lift up north is a towmotor in Georgia, for instance.

thanks for the quick responce.

its cranking but is not starting,ive double checked my wirig.ive checked and replaced any damaged or frayed wires,and installed cap,roter,and points.the starter cranks fine,just cant get that umph toget in running.battery is fully charged.

OK. first, is there fuel? Look in the carb and give the llinkage a pull, do yousee a squirt into the throttle bores.

Next, put a plug on a wire and rest it on the engine where it can ground. Does it give a good spark?

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

starting problems

About timing,check that timing ia right.
    If is not right the engine will not work.
    backfire.
    Stubbe in Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by njlimbaugh View Post
    A hex nut in the north can be a tap in the south; a fork lift up north is a towmotor in Georgia, for instance.
    Don't mean to hijack a thread, but I've lived in the south for most of my 40 years (FL and GA) and I would not have the slightest idea what somebody was talking about if they used either "southern" term you've listed.

To the original poster: Did it start correctly with the electronic ignition?
    1955 Super (model 52)
    (Factory power brakes, power steering, power windows, and power seats ... Aftermarket bondo and blood.)
    Wanted: "Driver" quality front & rear 55 model 50/70 bumpers.

+1 for what Bob said. Check the basics, fuel and spark. Did the car run with the electronic ignition? If all you did was change back to points, I would guess the problem is somewhere with the points. Try to turn the distrubuter by hand. It shouldn't move. If it does, Stubbe might be onto something with the timing. Go step by step, you will find the problem.

1956 Buick Century Estate Wagon

[quote=McGuireV10;61695]Don't mean to hijack a thread, but I've lived in the south for most of my 40 years (FL and GA) and I would not have the slightest idea what somebody was talking about if they used either "southern" term you've listed.

Hijack away! It probably depends on which part of which state one is talking about. Even in Illinois the local dialects differ somewhat depending on where one is. I'm originally from SE Missouri; moved to the Chicago suburbs and, even as close as the two are, there are still differences in some areas of speech. Zink (Missouri) vs. sink; washrag (MO) vs. washcloth; soda (MO) vs. pop to name a few.

Sorry to be part of the hijack, but it ain't a soda or a pop, it is a coke regardless of brand.

As for the original problem, spray some starting fluid in the carb to see if that gets it going if even just for a instant. If it does then you might have a fuel issue. I would see if it is getting gas. If all the connections are right on the electrical side, and you said you check those, then I would check the fuel side of the engine.