Thread: New guy...

New guy...

Hey Kids! I figured I would introduce myself. My name is Kelly, and I have a 1971 Skylark.

This car is located in Florida, at my parent's house, and I am currently in California. I am in the Navy, and I am going to Florida next month for dive school, so there is a certian car that will be resurrected again soon.

My Skylark started life as a regular plain-jane two barrel bench seat hardtop purchased new from Johnson City Motors in Johnson City TN. This was my first car that I purchased from my stepdad for $300. He purchased this car from a little old lady with 56,000 miles on the clock, for... $300. This was my mom's car, and she put close to twenty thousand miles on it when the cam bearings gave out. I purchased a '73 Century Luxus Sedan with a 350 Four Barrel in it. I drove the Century for a month before I pulled the motor out. I just turned sixteen, and my dad pretty much said "here's tools, make it work!". Made it work, I did. I moved to Florida my senior year of high school, and being a dumb kid with a nose heavy rear wheel drive car in the rain, a curb jumped in front of me making a left hand turn, (first day at my new school!) and the car spent three months in my driveway getting a frame transplant from a '69 Chevelle. My dad at this point was retired, and spent the days jacking the body up off the frame with a bottle jack and 2x4s while I managed a 3.3 GPA and staving off sleep in high school.

Christmas day, I finally had my car back together, and I spent that morning doing burnouts in front of my house in deed-restricted suburbia. I moved to California for college. My parents moved to Northern Florida, and the Skylark lived under a pole barn, getting driven occasionally by my father, or my nephews around their property.

I live life in California, had my mopar hot rods, and got into motorcycles. I basically forgot about the car.

Fast forward to last year. I really didn't see my parent's property in the past seven years, and to my surprise, the Skylark is still running, and still waiting for me! The itch to get back into classic cars is really burning, and life's checklist was to go to my tenth high school reunion in the Buick, nicely restored...

I want to put a T56 in it, and put every imaginable suspension upgrade I can in this thing. I go to dive school next month in Panama City, and it is time to put this car back on the road!!!

Sorry about the last photo's size...

The first pic was high school, 2001. The second was 2006 or so, and the last one was taken a month ago. I have big plans for this car. Stay tuned!
    KFD

love to hear storys of people who still have the cars they drove there glory days.I also still have my high school ride,a 68 gs califonia i bought in 1990 when i was sixteen.i hope all your plans for that very special car come to be and you enjoy making all new memories.

Hey man, thanks alot! The car has the usual A-body rust issues, but it can be fixed. My best friend here in California still has his high school hot rod: a 1969 Impala. We used to do Rod Runs all the time when I had my '58 Dodge Coronet. Like I say, I sold the Dog when I moved to Arizona. I can't wait to get back in the classic car scene. Plus, I got a certain blue boat that Skylark has to beat!

Later
    KFD

kids car

Hey man 'KEEP IT' ! It has history your history, and it has possibilities. But dont get buried in it get it runn'n and driv'n again, enjoy it again. Take it from this kid I,m 70 and my cars keep me young.

right on 39CENT.not everyone can aford to do a high buck resto, pay as you play and keep it on the road as much as possible.