Thread: Pontiac bites the dust

Pontiac bites the dust

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/27/auto...obit/index.htm

while i'm not happy to see this, perhaps now Buick America will be permitted to actually have a healthy lineup with some performance options again.

they are certainly going to have to expand the Buick model range. what with the consolidated Buick/Oldsmobile/Pontiac/GMC dealers being down Olds and Poncho, Buick's four current models are certainly not enough to hold up the automobile end of the dealership.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Kind of makes you wonder how long this has been in developement. I thought it kind of weird a few years back when they announced the new Camaro with no mention of a Firebird/TransAm model

Sad to see another piece of history go down the drain, but GM hasn't been ringing many bells lately.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbornNailhead View Post
    Kind of makes you wonder how long this has been in developement. I thought it kind of weird a few years back when they announced the new Camaro with no mention of a Firebird/TransAm model

Sad to see another piece of history go down the drain, but GM hasn't been ringing many bells lately.
    with the combining of parts and engines in GM cars they lost their individual identities years ago. I dont see why they cant just assign at least the names among a few different models, evidently name recognition doesnt have the same meaning anymore. The US auto manufacturers, need to rethink what they have to do to survive.

I take full responsability for the demise of the Oldsmobile and Pontiac lines. My sweety of 9 years wanted a newer car so a few years ago I bought her a nice used Oldsmobile to shuttle the grand kids around. Soon after GM announced Oldsmobile was going away. In January we upgraded Mary to a nice Pontiac Grand Am and soon after another announcement. But rest assured I will not be buying her a Buick any time soon

Maybe you should buy her a Toyota !

It's interesting to me that the Pontiac started life as a companion car to the Oakland, (Oldsmobile had Viking, Buick had Marquette, Cadillac had LaSalle) but wound up surpassing it's 'big sister' in sales, ultimately spelling the end of Oakland production. Just take a look back over the past century and see how many makes have lived and died!