Thread: 1957 Buick Glass

1957 Buick Glass

I've got a '57 Buick Special series 48 (two door post/sedan). I need to replace the passenger's side door glass this spring, as it is cracked in a few places. With the glass being flat, I thought it would be easy enough to take it into a local glass shop and have a new piece cut, but I thought I would check here first to see if anyone new of any places that offer glass for these years/models.

I also wanted to ask, does anyone know if the door glass is a slightly different size on the post/sedan cars, opposed to the hardtop cars? I might be getting some hardtop parts cars this summer, and might just hold off until then if that is the case.

As always, any help is much appreciated!

For what its worth...

I believe you will find the ht and the sedan glass is different. I think you will also find that the Oldsmobile post uses the same glass.

I would like to explain glass to you, but I am not up to speed.

Your windshield is hardened and safety. This means when it breaks it is in small cubes and stick to a lamenent? which reside between two layers of hardened glass.

I think side glass is hardened. It is not safety. This means when it breaks, it breaks in small cubes but falls away. If you use a glass typically from a glass shop it is not hardened. It will break in large sharp pieces.

I hope there is someone hear with a better explaination!

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

'57 still had the old laminated flat glass. It wasn't until side glass started to be curved that it was "Hardened". My '61 LeSabre still has laminated glass.

Well, took it into a local glass shop today, and they are going to cut me a new piece of laminate glass for $56 and change. Can't beat that.

For that price, I think I might replace all the side glass this summer.