- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: switch pitch

switch pitch

did the 1964 lesabre ever come with a switch pitch tranny on the st 300. I read this somewhere on the web and i think not. what do you think??

I belive the switch pitch came out in 65.

Switch pitch converter

I have a 64 Lesabre that has a switch pitch and 300ci 250 hp motor. It ran great in the big body cars.

Which is it? An how can you tell if you have a switch pitch tranny. A picture would be nice . thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soberarmy View Post
    Which is it? An how can you tell if you have a switch pitch tranny. A picture would be nice . thanks

I just entered"switch pitch transmission" on the net and
    found this.

http://www.buickperformance.com/switchpitch.htm

I am wondering if there is some confusion here. I am not knowledgeable about the Buick transmissions, but be careful about switch pitch, etc. Most commonly referred to are the switch pitch turbo 400s used in most big engine '65 and '66 Buicks and apparently some '64s. These have a pitch that positively switches to to different stall speeds through an electric switch mounted on the carburetor.

The Lesabre probably has an ST300 or Super Turbine 300 witch also has a torque converter that does much more work than the typical torque converter of the day. They are not slouches!

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

There were some ST300 transmissions that were switch-pitch, I think from '65 to '67. But they are not as desirable as the switch-pitch TH400.

-Bob C.

All ST300's are switch pitches, 2 speeds c/w high n low stall. ST400's are 3 speeds c/w the high n low stall.
    My '64's ST300 certainly is...I put in an underdash rocker switch so I can "switch the pitch" myself!
    mark
    TSF