Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1962 skylark...needs engine

1962 skylark...needs engine

my 62 skylark needs a new engine other than locating a new 215 V8(which i'm having trouble doing)what other options do i have with out a major fabrication job? can anyone help?

Try this, anything else I can help you with let me know

http://www.rebuiltcrateengines.com/b...ne-p-2095.html

Capt. Mike

what other options do i have with out a major fabrication job?

if you're looking for something a little more modern ( FI, ecu, etc ), try a 1990-2004 Land Rover v8. the Buick 215ci design was purchased by British Leyland/Land Rover in 1965 and the same basic architecture was in production from 1965 to 2004 although they did punch out to 5.0L. 4.6L will probably be the most common displacement you will find though.

also very easy would be the Buick 350 ( in production from 1968 to 1981 ) or the Buick turbo v6 from the 1980's Grand Nationals. alternatively, a NASCAR Busch series Buick v6 ( no racing series uses these any more ) would give great horsepower.

a Buick 455 would be a slightly more involved but is popular simply due to the massive displacement.

another advantage of the Rover engine is that it is still aluminum. all of the non-215 Buick options would be cast iron blocks and probably make your car a little nose heavy.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

A few years ago I came across a '63 Olds F-85 convertible that had a Buick 3.8L V6 neatly swapped in.

The '63 Olds F-85 shares the same architecture as your Skylark.

Maybe you want a tire frier and need a big V8. If you are looking to build a more practical, road worthy driver, a Buick V6 might be a good path to take.

Good luck with your project.

5. 215 v8

I am new to this sight. I am rebuilding a 61 Skylark. When I bought the car I got many extra parts with it. Including 3 Fireball 215 V8's (unbuilt) and 1 V6 (built). So I am willing to sell at a reasonable price. Contact me at dtkmgood@embarqmail.com. I am in the Dayton, Ohio Area.

Ted, the best option will be if you can rebuild your engine. That way you keep the matching numbers. D&D Fab. - www.aluminumv8.com -is a good source for parts and info.
    There is also the yahoogroup - skylark616263 - there is a lot of info available for those specific years. Group members may have an engine or additional info for you.

why do you need an engine? Resleeve too expensive for you? What is the engine bore,.040 over? Light Hone engine cylinders,replace rings,valve job, check form warpage and reassemble. that should hold you over till you find an engine.

my car needs an engine, 17 years, about 200 miles a year,later still running with same engine,has power too.

swap or rebuild.....

If you rebuild, you are gonna wonder what the swap would have been like,,,, if you swap, you will never look back,,,, its addictive.... been there, done that,,,,
    That said,,, Skylarkman is right on,,,, but ,,,, you could build a tire scorcher by swapping in a GN engine....and if I were faced with that situation, and 40 years younger, that is what I would shoot for.... a swap that would INCREASE the value of the car....
    If you are not enclined to do that,,, fall back on Skylarkman's suggestion and rebuild what you have.....

Quote Originally Posted by capt546 View Post
    Try this, anything else I can help you with let me know

http://www.rebuiltcrateengines.com/b...ne-p-2095.html
    Personally, I wouldn't recommend them. Yes, they have many years under
    their belt with respect to rebuilding engines and transmissions.

They are also known as Precision Engine, ICT Engines, and more notoriously,
    Thunderbolt Engines and Transmissions. Impaco, Inc also points to T.E.T.
    My brother has had 2 incidents with them, with no satisfactory results. I know
    two other folks who've had nothing but headaches because of engine rebuilds
    from T.E.T.

ICT has a BBB rating of 'C' - poor in my opinion ... also, they are not a BBB
    Accredited Business. Also, don't forget to read their warranty.
    1964 Canary Yellow Buick LeSabre Convertible - bone stock, approaching 93,000 original miles.
    300ci, aluminum heads, 4bbl, 2spd, A/C, PS, PB

215 v-8

Quote Originally Posted by teds64 View Post
    my 62 skylark needs a new engine other than locating a new 215 V8(which i'm having trouble doing)what other options do i have with out a major fabrication job? can anyone help?

I have a 215 alluminum v-8 in my xtra skylark I would be interested in selling,i don't know the operation history of the motor, planned to pull and rebuild I hear they are great marine motors too.

have a great day
    pontiacguy50