Thread: hello is there anybody out there

hello is there anybody out there

i have recently rebuilt the 300 in my 64 lark.i put a camshaft in from poston,the sb-110a.but when you would get on it, the rocker assemblie bolts would rip out of the head.so i replaced the stock cam and the car seemed to run good,but it wouldnt do a lick over 85. at wich point the car began to smoke very badly out of one pipe.it also blew the dipstick out of the tube and blew off my oil fill cap.so i began to tear my engine down once again.i noticed that the intake manifold gaskets were no longer sealed and were allowing oil to enter the intake valves via the camshaft valley.i replaced the ggaskets and sealed them up good.after putting the engine back together i realized i had a blown head gasket.this too has happened before.it always blows to the outside of the engine.if you put your finger down by where the head meets the block you can feel and hear the engine blowing out compression.im going to replace the head gasket today and if it runs good i will drive it and try to refrain from hot rodding it.if the smoke problem persists i could only think that it would be piston rings.
    any advice or comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.i dont know where i would be if you guys didnt help me out so much.thank you.
    -rowdy

motor

sounds like your push rods are to long , if it tears out rocker bolts

Check the heads for warpage as you state it has happened before. If these engines get hot they can warp then not seal when new gaskets are installed.

When you got the cam from Poston you should have recieved a sheet showing how to check for rocker arm geometry, if not there are many articles out there you should be able to find.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

300 problemm

Have you cosidered new head bolt with all the on and off you have done,bolts do strech???

well there is a hole in one of my pistons.so i will be rebuilding my engine again this weekend

Ack! Sorry to hear about your problem.

Why is there a hole? Sounds like you might have valves hitting pistons. I wouldn't just "rebuild" without fixing the problem...

Good luck!

-Bob C.