Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.

Thread: Head Casting Numbers (Questions)

Question Head Casting Numbers (Questions)

I got my hands on a Buick 215 V* Numbers on Block "JM544" When I pulled the heads off I found 2 different casting numbers?
    First one is "CFD1195741
    Second one is "CFD1193741

Does this mean one of the heads has been replaced? If so, Is this a problem?

I was told this motor was removed from a running 1963 Skylark 20 yrs ago and has been sitting on a stand ever since?
    It had a two BBL manifold and carb air cleaner all the stock stuff was there. I will be putting a mic on everything, However it does not appear to have a lot of miles on it. But we'll see after it gets everything checked.
    Missing items are as follows:
    Timing cover and Dizzy/fuel pump.
    Both rocker assemblies are gone "Found that out when I started to tare it down.

I have a stock 4bbl manifold.
    Stock 3/4 speed bell housing.

i would not be surprised to find different castings OEM from the factory, there are many years with multiple head castings used that don't have any significant difference between them.

If so, Is this a problem?

could be. if a head required replacing, it was likely due to a burnt exhaust valve or significant overheating warping the head so far they couldn't mill it flat.

inspect the rest of the engine for signs of over heating like discoloration or an apparent previous rebuild.

vendors are
    www.AluminumV8.com
    www.TAPerformance.com

i believe that any Small Block Buick distributor will drop into the block, all the way up to the 350ci which gives you an HEI option. although the HEI cap is really wide compared to the points cap and might have interference issues.

you can also try something like the BritishV8 forums for 2nd hand parts as the Rover 3.5L v8 engine is just a metric version of the 215ci. let them know WHY you want the parts and they should have no problem steering you in the right direction.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

oh, if you could make note of your casting and stamping numbers as you're going through this engine i would really appreciate it:
    https://www.teambuick.com/forums/sho...number-project
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Eddy,
    The JM code indicates the engine is a Fireball Aluminum V8 from a '63 Special. It had 9.0 compression ratio, 155 HP, 2 bbl carb.

The more powerful '63 Skylark Aluminum V8 was standard on Skylarks. It was code JN. It had 11.0 compression ratio, 200 HP, 4 bbl carb.
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Quote Originally Posted by TODD View Post
    Eddy,
    The JM code indicates the engine is a Fireball Aluminum V8 from a '63 Special. It had 9.0 compression ratio, 155 HP, 2 bbl carb.

The more powerful '63 Skylark Aluminum V8 was standard on Skylarks. It was code JN. It had 11.0 compression ratio, 200 HP, 4 bbl carb.

Thank you all very much for your help. I will be keeping track of everything and will report back on my findings.

[QUOTE=bob k. mando;108807]oh, if you could make note of your casting and stamping numbers as you're going through this engine i would really appreciate it:
    https://www.teambuick.com/forums/sho...number-project

[/QUOTE=Eddy] I would be happy to report back any numbers find stamped on any of the pieces; Crank, Cam, Rods, Stock intake. 4 bbl that I bought.
    PS: I'm taking pictures of everything and would be happy to share if anyone wants them.

Question? Is there anyway for me to know what type pistons are in it? will there be numbers on them?

Here is an old post where an owner found the original Buick part number on a 215 piston.

https://www.teambuick.com/forums/sho...xe-Convertible

The original part number is not that useful, as Buick did not sell the piston by itself. The piston and matched pin were sold together under a different part number. On the 215, Buick varied the compression ratio by using different pistons.

If replacement pistons are found, there may be a number such as 030 stamped on the piston indicating how much the sleeve has been bored oversize. Who knows there may be other numbers on aftermarket parts showing what they are?
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)