Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.

Thread: few more questions....

Talking few more questions....

Hi all, I'm quite confused going on decoding the ID codes on my 67' Skylark 4439...

Examples:

- The intake manifold and block (at rear just near the tranny) casting numbers are quite easy to read without mistaking, but I cannot find a perfect connection with codes listed in the Ref' sec. How should I read those listings, is it 'from XXXXXXX' or this kind of process ???? May the first digits have a meaning and the last only be a serial number as for the VIN ????

- I just found the new options codes list for 67' you great guys have supplied in the Ref', and I can't find the codes listed on my body plate.....
    Is there a listing that we can read in the other direction ??? I've had help from some of you to decode several, but it seems it's not realy clear for anybody as the same code may have different meanings depending on year or body style ??

Well as you see I'm quite confused 'cause I'd like to know precisely what my car is made of !
    I know that finding the build sheet would be the way but I'm loosing hope of finding it....

However it doesn't keep me from enjoying driving my car, that's the most important thing !!

Any clue welcome !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

but I cannot find a perfect connection with codes listed in the Ref' sec.

we've never managed to find thorough documentation on small block casting numbers. don't be concerned if you can't find you exact casting listed.

in fact, if you can identify the exact engine and date, Bob would probably appreciate it if you would give him a list of the casting numbers you pull off of your castings.

i think all Buick GM casting numbers are 7 digits long.

and I can't find the codes listed on my body plate.....

hopefully, someone will be along soon to decode those for you.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

bob k. mando is right, I would appreciate anytime someone is reasonably certain they have an original engine if they would forward me the casting numbers. As we get two or three people send in numbers with similar information, we can be reasonable certain that they are correct.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

X = power windows

F = air conditioning

3B = Rear defogger

5O = Seat belt delete

Only the accessories that are not standard wih your year and model will be stamped on your cowl tag.
    Last edited by Flynbuick; 03-06-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Hi all thanks for inputs !

Bobs, I'll try to write down each and every code I can locate with the manual on my car, I think she's all original as 67' Buicks are fairely rare down here...

Flyn', that's what I said in my first post: You tell 'F' is air cond but -unfortunately- the car didn't came with (no air ducts down the dash). You also told me before that 2X was ST300 tranny if I remember right, this one is OK.

How could I know which equipement were 'standard' on my 67' 4439 ??

Would a 67' build sheet reveal more codes, or more clearly the actual options than the listing of the REF' ??

Still I haven't even seen what it looks like, if any can post attached pics of one.

I'll try to post my codes list quick !

This accessory code could have changed by year or the cowl tag F code could have been stamped in error.

An order sheet for your year model would give you an idea about what was standard and what was optional. For instance what some GM A body cars, as late as at least 66, a heater was an option and so was a padded dash. Later this changed.

Also they are only going to list an accessory that would have caused the Fisher body to be changed. So for example an optional steering wheel would not be stamped on the cowl tag.

Your option code list is not the Fisher accessory code list for your cowl tag.
    Last edited by Flynbuick; 03-08-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Update!

Hi all, here are some of the codes I've been able to list:
    The car is a 67' Skylark 4439 with its original 340/NB in it (engine number stamped at front of left head matches VIN)
    Serial number (VIN+engine) is 7H117511, was produced last week of september 66' at Flint plant following Flyin's infos.

Intake casting is 8(B?)1379758E/GM
    Block casting at rear is 881621 5
    Oil pump casting is 1359261
    ST 300 Ref is 67 / ML 020N

I still have to check the heads number, exhaust manifold and posi that are harder to read....

I'll keep you posted !