From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970

Thread: Need help - Rear Axle Roadmaster 1946

Need help - Rear Axle Roadmaster 1946

Hi!
    I need a rear axle for my 1946 Roadmaster 4dr Sedan. I'd like to ask you guys if anybody can tell me which years and/or series had the same rear axle. As far as i know the axles from the Full-Size-Cars from '42-'48 should be the same....(???)

Are there any other years or models?

How about a axle from a 1950 Roadmaster? Does it fit to my '46?

Do the old Interchange-Books (or the reprints) answer those question?

I am very thankful for any answer

Andreas
    (located in Germany, thats why my english isn't perfect )

My english isn't perfect ether, and I live here. The book I got only goes up to 1949, and it says 41 to 49 series 40,50,60, and 70. And left & right are different, left 29 3/8 and right 30 1/8. Hope that helps some.

It looks to me like all axles from '41 - '50 fit.
    And the series 50, 70 from '51 - '55.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks for your answer so far!!!

@Spud: What do you mean with "left and right are different"? Maybe here is an missunderstanding: What I need and what I am looking for is the complete Axle with the housing, the differential and all the other stuff what is hold by the springs and the traction bars under the car :-) I guess you're talking bout the drive shafts??? Or am I completly wrong??

@Bob: Please can you tell me where you have these information from?

By the way: My Roadmaster has no automatic transmission, its shifted. Did they have different Axles or differential ratios for automatic and non-automatic? (I dont think so.....)

There was a misunderstanding. They are talking about the internal axle shafts being different. The whole axle assembly should interchange. Measure the mounting locations on both axles to be sure. Some of the automatic transmission models used different ratios in the rear axle, but the gearing can always be changed since the housings were the same. Good luck!

Axle housing

'42-'48 50, 70 are the same.

Source is a hollander manual Like this one!
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Roadmaster46 I guess there was a misunderstanding, but I see it got cleared up. Sorry for that.

Axle Housing

You can use an axle up to 53, it has to be either 50 or 70 series Buick. But if you use anything other then 42 to 48, 50 or 70 sreies. You need to keep your torque tube and third member, because the torque tube lenghts are different, not the axle housing.
    Buick Roadmaster
    Model 76S
    Anthony
    aka Straight80