Thread: Please read my story and I have a ?

Smile Please read my story and I have a ?

I know this is long. But I wanted to share it with all of you. I also have a ? I found a power steering gear box for my 55 Buick Roadmaster. It did come out of a 55 Buick Special. I lucked out there was no eng. in car and had black top to work on. It had the horn wire in it also. Which I was wanting to put my horn back on streeing wheel. When I got car it was moved to the wonder bar. I paid $150.00 for box. No return. I opened the truck and I found two taillights with nice lences and all, also lic. plate lights for a 55 Roadmaster. He let me take the heater switches out. I also got I also got a few other little chrome pieces. All of it was in good condition for $100.00. I was on cloud 9. All of the trying to track down a streeing gear box and there was one 15 minutes away. Got back with all of my goodies to find out the Special is 1" shorter then the Roadmaster. I was falling off my cloud. Will I am back on it now. I took it to a friend that wields and he said he can make it work. He cut off the old chaft and added the 1" I needed. Redid the wire for horn. This guy is a great wielder so I know it works. If we get no rain I will be back on the road again. How to put oil in box? How, where, amount, and kind to put in it? Some one told me to just put power steering fluid in pump and it will pump down to box. I am not sure and do not want to do any thing wrong.
    THANKS, CHARLENE
    Last edited by CHARLENE COMBS; 03-01-2009 at 05:24 AM.

That was the correct advise. Just fill the pump, run the engine and refill as required. Turn the wheel from lock to lock several times and the air will be removed. It will make a loud noise until the air is gone but as long as the fluid is full that's OK.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

What I usually like to do Charlene. Before I start the engine I fill the pump with oil. I then cycle the steering wheel back & forth without the engine running to try & get as much air as possible out BEFORE starting the engine. The level will go down a little, just refill, then start the engine. Really don't see any harm in doing it either way. It's just the way I do it.

Tom