From the Reference Section:
- Auto Refinishing, featuring Brian Martin
- Body Cross Reference,A,B,C...
- 1967 Hood Scoop Installation Pattern

Thread: How to remove the side chrome trim of a 53`

1. How to remove the side chrome trim of a 53`

Hi guys,

my 53` 2dr special gets a new paintjob. therefore i do have to remove the chrome side trim(3 parts: rear fender, door, front fender). Do i have to remove any screws or is it just like "clicked" in ? Thanx for any help.

Greeetz

The interior door panels need to be removed, then each fastner can be unbolted. The door handles are held in place with a sliding plate under the access panel under the weather strip.

There are no "clip on" fastners so look for the bolts. On my 52 I had to remove the rear seat to get to the lower bolts for the side trim.

Each fastner is different so make sure you know where they go when you re-install the trim.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

Here's what I've figured out...for the door trim, yeah you have to take off all your hardware and get the door panel off, then you'll see a rectangular panel with 5 screws-take that off-and you'll be able to get inside at the bolts for the outside door trim, which has fasteners inside the rolled edges but are not bolted directly. The rounded edge of the sweepspear on my '52 is held on by 2 screws on top, 2 on the bottom. Get that off first. The long rocker piece is held on by a bunch of bolts on the bottom: remove these, then pry the end closest to the back of the car away from the rocker and tap it with a rubber mallet towards the front of the vehicle, it comes off easy.
    I'm kind of oblivious so there probably is a better way to do all of this but this all worked for me recently. Good luck man.