Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 401 Water Pump

Ok i have all my parts except a 2 grove water pump pully i got some from a guy that was parting out a 64 but the water pump was a single groove any ever ran 1 belt to the alternator and p/s pump
    1962 Lesabre 4 door seadan
    2007 honda element (at least its american made by UAW workers in East Liberty OH)
    09 Chevy AVEO (100% percent korean assembled, 70% korean parts, 1% usa and canada parts,) Which one is the domestic again i am confused?

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    Yes Erik. The non A/C pumps spin at .9 engine speed while the A/C cars with the smaller crank & larger water pump pulley spins at 1.1. If you try & use an A/C water pump pulley on a non A/C car with the non A/C crank pulley the water pump pulley won't fit as the pulley's will hit each other.

Tom T.
    Is there any way of calculating coolant flow with an a/c pump on a non a/c engine, using the non a/c piulley? Will the coolant flow be too fast to be efficient?
    ZW / 1963 Buick Riviera FB11676

'spose you could do a "bucket test" unless you could install an actual flow meter.

Bucket test:

1. Connect hose on outlet of water pump long enough to reach a bucket
    2. Fill radiator full and be ready with supplemental water hose
    3. Start engine to idle or RPM X (note and maintain consistant RPM).
    4. Start stopwatch for a given period of time; say 30 seconds to 1 minute. (depending on size of bucket)
    5. Repeat process with other pully arangement and compare flow output.
    6. Connect hose as original.

If you know the Termal Dissipation Power rating is of the radiator in question is, you can simply do the math. but the more accurate test would be to simply measure the coolant temperature every few minutes and chart your readings. You will also find that the efficiency of a radiator will rise as the temperatures increase (a curved graph and not a straigh line). But the radiator efficiency is only one piece of the overall performance of the cooling system. That's why the time/temperature test is more of an accurate test. Even your hose size, plumbing fittings, elbows, etc will have an effect on the cooling system performance.

Erik
    See dyno break-in run here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuIKyzct4Sc
    See first dyno pull after overhaul here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWGYfCwEvO8

86 LX Police Interceptor (SS) 5.0 Mustang
    (wifes drag car)

I ordered a water pump for my '63 LeSabre (401, "410 Wildcat" engine) last week from NAPA. The pump came in today, and I picked it up. It is very light, so I'm assuming it's aluminum...haven't had a chance to round up a magnet to check it). It is also a 5 vane. My LeSabre is non-air conditioned. The parts guy told me that it doesn't matter, and that this is the only pump that he is able to get for the 401. I wanted the 3 vane, but could not find one locally. My old water pump isn't leaking, but is making the "whirring" sound as it is turning, and there is some play in the fan. He told me that he had heard of no problems with running a 5 vane on a car without air conditioning.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried one of these pumps on a non-AC 401? Were there any cooling issues with them? And, if it turns out to be aluminum, do they hold up as well as the original-type pumps? The one I purchaed is new, not rebuilt.

1949 Model 56-S
    2 Door Super Sedanette (Fastback)
    248 cubic inch Straight Eight
    Three Speed Manual Transmission
    66,000 miles

The parts guy is a MORON and doesn't know what he is talking about. My local Napa computer system showed BOTH. I'd be willing to bet the guy has probably never even seen a nailhead!

Ok... so you already bought it. Put it on and you will find out! But before you change it, do the time/Temperature (ambient temp and coolant temp!) test with your existing pump since it is working, then do the same with the 5 vane. Get some good temp readings before and after and write them down. Feel free to share your findings with us!

Then send your 3 vane to THE FLYING DUTCHMAN in the mean time to have it rebuilt.

Erik
    See dyno break-in run here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuIKyzct4Sc
    See first dyno pull after overhaul here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWGYfCwEvO8

86 LX Police Interceptor (SS) 5.0 Mustang
    (wifes drag car)

OK, I got the new water pump installed last weekend on my '63 LeSabre. At first, I was a bit worried because the replacement pump that I bought was aluminum...but the pump that was on the car was ALSO aluminum! It has been on the car since 1977! So, I guess they do hold up pretty well.

I had no way of checking temperatures accurately for any difference between the 3 and 5 vane pumps. While I was changing the water pump, I also installed a new 160 degree thermostat, new belts, and new hoses. Everything seems to be working well so far, no leaks, and no overheating problems. I can see no difference so far in running the 5 vane other than a 3 vane. I am going to have my old pump rebuilt though, just in case. It never hurts to have an extra lying around!

1949 Model 56-S
    2 Door Super Sedanette (Fastback)
    248 cubic inch Straight Eight
    Three Speed Manual Transmission
    66,000 miles

My local napa store told me the 5 vane was the only one available as well please post if you do have a problem i will probally be installing one on mine before the engine goes back in. Yes I know the flying dutchman is the best out there but for now I am balling on a budget and i am afraid that my heater core and transmission rebuild left me broke.
    1962 Lesabre 4 door seadan
    2007 honda element (at least its american made by UAW workers in East Liberty OH)
    09 Chevy AVEO (100% percent korean assembled, 70% korean parts, 1% usa and canada parts,) Which one is the domestic again i am confused?