-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Rocker shaft lubrication

Rocker shaft lubrication

Hey all. I am finally getting ready to start the reassembly process of the 263. Have a couple of questions concerning lubrication. What is everyone using as for as oil is concerned? Something has got to be better than what was run in this thing. My rocker arm shaft was so clogged up when I tore this thing down, I cant even believe that it worked. Also, any simple solution to more oil to the shaft? Bigger line in? Seems like the farther down the shaft you go the more clogged it got hole by hole. Obviously not pushing enough oil to the end. Just dont want to end up with shaft in same condition as I found it. Thanks, Doug.

I think newer oils and frequent oil changes will keep it from clogging in the future...line size doesn't matter because there's a restrictor on the head that drops oil pressure down to a trickle in the upper end...it's basically gravity at that point pulling it back to the back of the motor (a bit of an exaggeration)...also, make sure there's a thermostat in it...it should be fine as is.
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

rocker shaft lubrication

Quote Originally Posted by da1958 View Post
    Hey all. I am finally getting ready to start the reassembly process of the 263. Have a couple of questions concerning lubrication. What is everyone using as for as oil is concerned? Something has got to be better than what was run in this thing. My rocker arm shaft was so clogged up when I tore this thing down, I cant even believe that it worked. Also, any simple solution to more oil to the shaft? Bigger line in? Seems like the farther down the shaft you go the more clogged it got hole by hole. Obviously not pushing enough oil to the end. Just dont want to end up with shaft in same condition as I found it. Thanks, Doug.
    yes, I have found that on several old rocker shafts. The oiling is restricted at the shaft suply oil line fitting, which is stock. That was to keep from over oiling. The old oils needed to be changed a lot because they didnt have detergent oils back then. I would suggest everyone to check their rocker shaft if you dont know its history, save you a lotta money in repairs.

Thanks all. Was able to purchase a brand new rocker shaft only from Kanter for 95.00 with a core. They also have the whole assembly available for 425.00 with core if you dont feel like messing with the tear down of the old one. I feel alot better knowing that I am starting with a clean pathway for oil. Thanks again, Doug.

rocker arm assembly

the rocker arm assemblys are getting real rare and if you can find one you are lucky. .Anybody that needs a rebuild there is an outfit in calfornia that can do it.

http://www.rockerarms.com