-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Transmission for a straight eight

Transmission for a straight eight

Hi..Newbie here. Pardon me if this has been covered somewhere...I couldn't find anything, so, maybe someone can point me, or, has an idea.

I am using a 248 to power a sort of vintage English "hotrod" on a 1934 Alvis frame. Looks like a good fit. However, I want a floor shift, and perferably one with a granny gear because this thing looks more like civil engineering than automotive engineering..and it has a 2.72 rear end and big 20 inch wire wheels. Mine came with a 3 speed column shift...I guess I could figure out some rube goldberg arrangement, but, using a SM420 or SM464 out of a GM or Chevy truck like the jeep guys use seems like it would be the most "era appropriate", and effective...I have seen the T-5 adaptors which I would like to avoid because of expense and really, inapproriatness.

Someone else said that a 37-38 Buick top shifting tranny would fit my bell housing..not ideal as a three speed, but, could be the ticket...the top two bo;ts are about 8 and a quarter " center to center, and LITTLE OVER 4" BELOW ARE TWO MORE BOLT HOLES 7" APART...the tranny I have has a 6 and ahlaf inch stick out and a 19/32 pilot and 10 spline shaft...any suggestions or ideas out there or can anyone remember a thread?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by PolarRoller View Post
    Hi..Newbie here. Pardon me if this has been covered somewhere...I couldn't find anything, so, maybe someone can point me, or, has an idea.

I am using a 248 to power a sort of vintage English "hotrod" on a 1934 Alvis frame. Looks like a good fit. However, I want a floor shift, and perferably one with a granny gear because this thing looks more like civil engineering than automotive engineering..and it has a 2.72 rear end and big 20 inch wire wheels. Mine came with a 3 speed column shift...I guess I could figure out some rube goldberg arrangement, but, using a SM420 or SM464 out of a GM or Chevy truck like the jeep guys use seems like it would be the most "era appropriate", and effective...I have seen the T-5 adaptors which I would like to avoid because of expense and really, inapproriatness.

Someone else said that a 37-38 Buick top shifting tranny would fit my bell housing..not ideal as a three speed, but, could be the ticket...the top two bo;ts are about 8 and a quarter " center to center, and LITTLE OVER 4" BELOW ARE TWO MORE BOLT HOLES 7" APART...the tranny I have has a 6 and ahlaf inch stick out and a 19/32 pilot and 10 spline shaft...any suggestions or ideas out there or can anyone remember a thread?
    Bill
    The 37/38 floor shift trans will work fine if you find a good one, but its for a Buick torq tube rear end. A same year Pontiac or Oldsmobile trans is the same and will bolt onto your Buick, they are the same basic trans, and are open drive. A 2.72 rear end ratio is pretty tall gears for your engine. You can adapt most GM 4 speeds to your bell housing, check out 'jyrkis buick site.

http://www.roadmachine.fi/Buick/august2001.html