-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Connecting Rods

Question Connecting Rods

Looking to buy some insert bearing connecting rods for my 320 cube straight 8. My engine has the poured babbitt rods, and I want to upgrade to insert bearing rods. Are there any NOS insert bearing rods out there rods out there? Also, How much ? Also does anyone know where I can find the specs on Buick 403 Pistons or Buick 455 pistons. I am trying to fit new aluminum pistons. I need the specs for bore, piston length, compression distance, connecting rod small end measurement. Any ideas where I can find these specs ?

hot rod magazine published a series of books called ENGINES that give those specs. you are looking for. Buick may have installed a 403 motor in some of their models but I think it was a Olds motor.

straight 8

Charley,
    You are correct. All ofthe General's cars started useing generic GM corporate motors in 1977, and I believe an Oldsmobile customer sued, and won his caes, that he had bought an Oldsmobile car and expected an Oldsmobile motor in it. If he had wanted a Chevrolet motor, he would have bought an Impalla or Caprice. Thereafter, all cars had a disclosure that the vehicle had one of several "Corporate" motors. In 1978, Buick brought back their V-6 as an even-fire engine and kept it until 1987. I believe that 1976 was the last year of any Buick based V-8. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by David Juricic View Post
    Looking to buy some insert bearing connecting rods for my 320 cube straight 8. My engine has the poured babbitt rods, and I want to upgrade to insert bearing rods. Are there any NOS insert bearing rods out there rods out there? Also, How much ? Also does anyone know where I can find the specs on Buick 403 Pistons or Buick 455 pistons. I am trying to fit new aluminum pistons. I need the specs for bore, piston length, compression distance, connecting rod small end measurement. Any ideas where I can find these specs ?
    Are you talking about pistons in context with your straight 8?

strt 8 rods and pistons

heres a post that has some talk about pistons and rods

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/show...rods#post33595

Buick Guy, the Buick 350 was around until 1980, and a few may have made their way into 1981 cars too...
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

Connecting Rods

Quote Originally Posted by David Juricic View Post

Terrill Machine Inc, 1000 CR 454, DeLeon, TX 76444, PH: 254-893-2610; in business since 1978; ... as listed in Hemmings sells them. There are others, or you can machine yours to accept 49 Buick inserts
    Last edited by Straight Eight; 02-18-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: adding email address

Actually, you may want to reconsider the babbit rods. The babbited rods are the best rods that went into the str8's. They are a vaniadium steel alloy and will rockwell at about 26. In 49 the same rods were switched to a insert bearing. 1950 recieved the same rod. In 1951 Buick changed the alloy to a 1140 grade. It was easyer to work with and considering the power levels the str8 put out, it would work. But not as good as the older rod. So, getting a set of the good rods NOS is hopeless, a set of any new rods is probably equally hopeless. The only way to be sure of what you're getting is to pull 'em out of a engine you are absolutly sure of.
    20 or so years ago, tossing the babbited rods was a given. Inserted sets of rods were easy to get and bearing were still made for the str8's by a bunch of manufacturers. Bearings made specificly for str8's are not happining any more. It's left over nos, bearings that just happen to fit, that are made for other engines or nothing! The only real problem that babbited rods have is that they are hard to service. But they also have a real advantage. Heat is what kills bearings. The babbit is poured into the rod. Given the metal to metal contact of the bearing to rod, heat transfer is as good as it gets. But there is a further anvantage that we did not have 20 odd years ago that makes the babbited rod a realistic alternative. Bearing coatings. Teflon and a few other types of coatings have proven to be a very good thing to do. I have done this to several engines and it absolutly works. Reduces friction, protects from acidic corrosion and several other bad things that can happin "down there". So, get the crank turned, have the rods rebabbited and sized accuratly. Send them to Calico Coatings or a like place and have the bearing end coated along with the mains. As long as you keep the engine under 5-6000 rpm and good oil in it, it'll run like a swiss watch. alleycat

was a article in a Buick magazine on putting 455 rod bearings in the old babbit rods. You had to machine the rods to the 455 crankshaft rod size, and cut a notch to match the bearing locks. Was written by an straight 8 racer. They do the same thing for adding inserts to Ford model A,s