From the Reference Section:
- Auto Refinishing, featuring Brian Martin
- Body Cross Reference,A,B,C...
- 1967 Hood Scoop Installation Pattern

Thread: 1952 rocker panels...

1952 rocker panels...

Has anybody replaced the rockers on a '50's Buick? My Roadmaster has some serious cancer and I'm curious as to what the process is. Any easy way to get the old ones off? I was working on the car today and can't even seem to find a way to get the trim off...I unbolted the botttom clips and pried the rectangular spring clips from inside but I could only get at the first two off and don't know how to get at the others.

Here's what I did when replacing the rockers on my 74 chevy pickup. Remove seats, doors, carpets etc. to clear the way. Match up the new and old rockers to determine where you need to make the cut. It may not be necessary on all cars, but I made a brace between the front and rear door jambs in order to maintain the proper door opening. Remember, you're cutting away a main structural member. In order to avoid overlapping the new metal with the old, I made my cuts to provide for a butt weld at the joint. Using flat pieces of sheet metal, I used pop rivets to fasten the new rockers in place being sure to rivet all planes for rigidity. After welding the rockers in, I punched out the rivets and welded the rivet holes closed. Ad paint. Salt and pepper to taste!

Okay thanks man...bracing, that's exactly what I was looking for. Got that rocker trim off too-it felt like there were studs on the inside but if you unbolt the bottom clips and pull the rear end of the trim out from the car a little and give it two or three love taps with a rubber mallet towards the front of the car it comes right off. There are 3 strips of metal screwed to the rocker and front fender that apparently the trim rides on, was surprised I didn't see any holes under it so perhaps the rot isn't as bad a I'd first thought...