From the Reference Section:
- Auto Refinishing, featuring Brian Martin
- Body Cross Reference,A,B,C...
- 1967 Hood Scoop Installation Pattern

Thread: stuck door latch

stuck door latch

my 73 electra drivers door is stuck shut & locked, it will not open with the key or from the inside. can i "slim jim" it open, because i can't get the door panel off with it shut , thanks in advance for replies
    73 electra

Probably, unless the failure is in the latch itself. Do you know a tow truck driver? The've got the most experience. Good luck.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

There is a spring on the latch inside the door that operates a flipper type thingy. When the spring breaks the problems you mention happen. You need to put the window all the way down. Look inside the door while pushing the outside door handle button. You will see it hitting this flipper part that does not return. All you do is take a long screwdriver or piece of stiff metal & push this flipper towards the outside door handle. Now you will be able to unlock the door from inside or outside. This happens when the spring mentioned is broken & you try to open the door not realizing the door is locked. After you have pushed it in it's too late. Try what I've said. I've had the same problem on my '68 Wildcat until I found a spring & replaced it. Let me know how you make out.

Tom T.