Thread: 1952 Roadmaster trunk handle

1952 Roadmaster trunk handle

Just bought a trunk handle off of eBay for my Roadmaster and it has a lock in the middle under the Buick shield...also, it came with one plastic insert on the right, instead of "Flow" (for Dyna Flow) it says "Eight". Now my Roadmaster didn't come with a trunk handle, that was one of 2 things missing on the whole car (oil bath was absent as well) so I don't know why it has a lock as my trunk already has one under a teardrop on the back. But it looks like the handle that is supposed to be there! It has a part #, 1340136.
    What do I have?
    Last edited by krinkov58; 02-17-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Krinkov58

Last summer I pulled a trunklid off of a '51 Roadmaster and the handle looks just like the one pictured.

The only difference with the plastic inserts were that on Dynaflow automatic transmission cars the inserts said "DYNA" on the left and "FLOW" on the right, and on cars with the 3 speed synchromesh transmission they said "BUICK" on the left and "EIGHT" on the right.

If you have a Dynaflow car you can get reproductions from Cars, but if you have a Synchromesh good luck finding replacements. I've been looking for 3 years and haven't found any worth buying.

But why the lock cylynder when the trunk has one already?

On the '51 trunklid I have the only lock cylinder is the one in the handle assembly. I'm not sure about the '52 as my trunklid was shaved of all emblems and handles when I bought the car.

Hmmmm...maybe this came from a standard Special? They didn't have the whole teardrop keyhole-flip thing at the bottom of the trunk, I think. Yeah my trunk was shaved too and the holes filled with some diabolical black sealant. Mine's a Dynaflow anyhow so I'm getting the inserts from Bob's, opening the holes back up and popping her on.should work fine.