- Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: repair sleeve

rjason Guest

repair sleeve

Does anyone know where if someone makes a repair sleeve for the harmonic balancer on a '64 300ci 2 barrel?

I have a significant leak. Pulled everything apart and replaced the seal inside of the front cover but the HB shaft appeared a little worn. Decided to go ahead and put it back together and give it a try...still leaks, just as I thought. I haven't been able to locate a source for a repair sleeve for my engine. Anyone had this problem before? What did you come up with?

Thanks,
    Jason

There are sleeves available for almost any size through industrial supply houses such as Motion Industries, McMaster-Carr etc. They are pressed on. Obviously you'll have to get the old hub turned down at a machine shop. Be sure to specify the original outside diameter required and that it's for an automove shaft seal.

If your balancer appears a little worn, you can probably fix it. It is easiest with a lathe where you can chuck it, but if you just put it in a vise and take a strip of emery cloth and work it back and forth until the offending marks dissappear. Then take a strip of fine and polish it up.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Sealings, Nothing more than Sealings.

I would try calling TA performance or Poston. Or even D+D machine the guys that specialize in specialty parts for these engines. If anybody knows of a crossover part or even the actual part you need it'll be one of those places.
    Does the 300 have a rope or a neoprene type seal in it? If they all originally had ropes there might not have ever been a repair sleeve offered for them. Ropes usually won't wear the hub like rubber seal will. Does your balancer hub have a knurled pattern on it from the factory? The guys at D+D say on their website that they have tons of used parts and their prices look mighty cheap to me. Maybe they can sell ya a used balancer fairly economically. Good Luck.

Call mark at D&D jason....aluminumV8.com.....he,s helping me rebuild my 64 300.......im pretty sure its a rope seal and the HB should be knurled.....my other 300 is startin a slow leak to.....he,ll be able to help you out.........those guys are great........good luck...............JJ

harmonic balancer

Check out a farm implement dealer such as John Deere. There are sleeves available just for this fix in numerous sizes. Slide rite over existing balancer sealing surface. Much cheaper and quicker than machine work. Hope that helps. Best Regards, Greg J.

If anybody knows of a crossover part

if there is a crossover part, it will be for the 1978 ( or similiar year ) 231ci v6. and considering that TA sells the same timing cover for the v6's and the v8's, i would suspect that's what's going to happen.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I had the same issue with a 350 balancer.
    It had a rebuilt damper, and a neoprene seal in the front cover.
    You need a Speedi-Sleeve®.
    They are kind of expensive ($30+), and part stores usually need to order them.
    It's best to measure the size you need, and they can be ordered from NAPA auto parts, and other sources too.

ElectraJim
    Last edited by ElectraJim; 02-03-2009 at 03:51 PM.

rjason Guest
    First of all I want to thank everyone for their responses and imput.

I did get a repair sleeve and install it, but I still have my leak. When I installed the sleeve, I also went ahead and replaced the seal again just to be sure. So, again I appeal to the knowledge of the members of this board.

First, looking down at the engine I can see a slight wobble of the balancer/crank pulley. Does this indicate that the balancer itself is bad. Or worse, that the crank is bent or something!! If I replace the balancer, how do I go about balancing the new one to the rest of my rotating assembly?

Second, is it possible that there is a hairline crack(s) in the aluminum timing cover that is preventing a proper seal. If I were to get a replacement cover, where do I get it and will it be listed for my engine or another listing that will work for me?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Jason

Wobble isn't good. You can run the engine for a short time without the balancer and see if the crank snout wobbles, which would indicate that it is bent. The preferred method for checking would be with a dial indicator, which will let you detect small variations that you cannot see with the naked eye. Hopefully you've got a bad balancer, replacing the crank would be a ******.