-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engine identification... help!

Duesy, this is the thread that Alleycat mentioned: http://www.teambuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9365

Yes, the 1936-52 Roadmasters, Limiteds and Centurys had the 320 engine, while Super and Special shared the smaller 248, and 1950-52, the 263. The wheelbase on the large series Buicks is about 5" longer due to longer engine.

Most racers have picked the 320 for obvious reasons - sheer size! Lately we have seen a lot of guys on this forum who have first-hand experience on building and racing the 320, and can testify it can be made to withstand a lot of power and RPM. But some people agree that the 263 is actually a far more modern design with lots of potential. Alleycat knows everything worth knowing about the smaller engine(s).

A few guys out there have been measuring the chamber sizes of various castings, but haven't observed any difference. Nevertheless, over the years the advertized compression ratios varied slightly. It could have been due to differences in piston dome, or gasket thickness maybe? And I know that the difference between a tulipped and non-tulipped intake valve is 5 cc

Whether you pick the large or small engine, you need to make it breathe! The stock intake and exhaust manifolds are useless - you need to fabricate new ones. There's lots of material on the valve bowls and guides to be removed. And they need modern valves. BB Chevy valves can be fitted on the 320 (BBC exhaust valve => Buick intake valve). BBC valve springs may be used as well. Super/turbocharging seems to be the key in making real power and overcoming the poor siamesed design. Cams can be reground. Without a charger, you can up the C.R. by shaving the deck and/or head, I think you can shave .125" off each one.

The stock crank is made of premium material, and seems to take the abuse up to 6000 RPM, despite the 5 mains and long throws. Most racers have custom-made rods and pistons. Some old GMC STR-6 pistons may work, as well as some Harley pistons. Ask around, there's a wealth of info on this site!

Wow, all good stuff and the insights are much appreciated. Just picked up a prewar Graham centrifugal supercharger as a possible Buick bolt-on though it may be too small to generate much of a performance gain. H&H Flatheads are re-popping the venerable SCoT blower, which could be belt-driven engine right side and piped over to a twin-intake Edmunds or whatever.

I am aware of at least one 320 ci engine with a air blower (McCulloch) but apparently they are energy hogs requiring a healthy percentage of engine HP to turn, less so with a fuel/air blower. Any opinions out there as to which type best suited for Buick straights?
    Last edited by duesy; 01-26-2009 at 01:48 PM.

nobody else has any comments on the validity of the Carnut data?

duesy, you don't have any Duesenberg specs you want me to add in?

i'll probably give it a week or so and then forward Bob Cull a new copy of the furburger. i've also finally completed the 1970-79, Chevy vin decoding. i had forgotten that i hadn't finished that.

i'll probably also head over and correct Wikipedia once this is done....
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

What spec's do you need?

bore x stroke and years of production for all Duesy displacements if you've got them. i think you told us bore spacing in a thread around here somewhere, i'll have to hunt that down.

deck height wouldn't be bad. anything else you can think of to help someone ID one Duesy from another in the field?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

if it would help, i can send you a copy of the xls file i've got now.

you'd need Excel or some compatible spreadsheet program in order to read it.
    Vladimir Lenin