- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Question regarding tranny cooler and new motor

Question regarding tranny cooler and new motor

OK.. now that I have the old motor out (264).. I see that I don't have the same ports for water hoses (the ones that run to the tranny cooler) on the new motor (322). I don't really want to put them in either. I don't like all those hoses running all over the place and I'd like to leave room for dual exhaust.

That being said... I'd like to find an alternative way of cooling the transmission.. any ideas? Should I get a newer radiator that has a tranny cooler built in and just route the tranny line to it? Is there a way to "T" off the right side heater hoses that run to the heater core and route them to the tiny tranny cooler attached to the dyna?

Any help would be appreciated. Much thanks.

I have the same problem with a 56 engine in a 55 Century. I think I'll make a paralel system for the Dynaflow oil cooler using 2 T-connections, 1 T just after the waterpump to the Dynaflow, then from the Dynaflow and 1 T just before the radiator. Or does anyone have a better plan?

I also haven't looked into aftermarket trans coolers.. maybe there's one out there that can be located in front of the existing radiator without altering too much.... hmmmmm.... I'll have to look into this.

Use one of the small finned tube type coolers. I used one about 12 inches long on my 63 Galaxie and it put a lot more heat into the trans fluid than your 322 will ever put out.

I mounted mine on the frame rail of my 1955 Special when I put the 322 in it and used part of the original metal lines to connect it. I think it would look better mounted like the original across the bottom of the transmission so I might mount it there later.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Carmichael View Post
    Use one of the small finned tube type coolers. I used one about 12 inches long on my 63 Galaxie and it put a lot more heat into the trans fluid than your 322 will ever put out.

I mounted mine on the frame rail of my 1955 Special when I put the 322 in it and used part of the original metal lines to connect it. I think it would look better mounted like the original across the bottom of the transmission so I might mount it there later.
    Are the finned air cooled? Don't require engine coolant cooling?

Tubed cooler

Yes... I just looked them up. They mount on the frame rail or front of the radiator or wherever... Uses the outside air temp instead of the coolant in the radiator, which is usually hotter than outside temp.

Thanks much! Perfect answer!

I wondered if they would work as they look so small but my Galaxie puts out 405 HP with 500 foot pounds of torque and it works just fine on it so I knew it would work on my Buick.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Carmichael View Post
    I wondered if they would work as they look so small but my Galaxie puts out 405 HP with 500 foot pounds of torque and it works just fine on it so I knew it would work on my Buick.
    Thanks! It helps a lot and cleans up the engine bay.