Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running Hot!!!

Finally go to it!!!!

Well after some time i finally got to it. After reading all your input i purchased a fan with 7 blades from an unknown GM car at the Qualcom Auto Swap Meet in San Diego. It looked like it would fit but from closer inspection when i got home the holes were to far apart so i decided to make the hole into slots by drilling new hole closer to the existing ones filed them down to looke nice, before i put it on i flushed the raidiator and the engine, the water looke nasty but after running the water hose through it for some time it looked clear. I refilled it with antifreeze and water. The moment of truth, no more over heating at this point, i let it run for about an hour and a half and still no overheating the temp. stayed at normal operating temp. I have couple questions regarding the fan are the fans balanced, did i screw it up by drilling it ? Do i need to drive the car to get the temp up or sitting at idle for an hour and a half good enough to find out if its going to overheat? Thanks for all your input.

Hi, don't really know if fans are balanced but I think so... If you've drilled with center right in place, no problem...
    You should check engine temp while driving highway speed because the more the engine has to deliver horsepower at a same RPM, the hotter he gets ! However an hour an a half at idle seem a good sign.

running hot

Your problem could be as simple as needing a radiator cap - try squeezing the radiator hoses - f you can squeeze them, get a new radiator cap

pull the plugs,turn it over and look for antifreeze coming outta sparkplug holes.

crack the drain plug and see if there is water in the pan - it'll drain out first

there are onyl a couple engines that I know of that tuned counter clockwise - thos would be the only fans that - if erroroneously put on your engine, would push air toward the radiator - I don't think a parts house would sell something like that to a person that owned a Buick
    you would throw off the balance of the fan blade by drilling holes - unless you drill evenly spaced, equally removing the material around the hub.... look at the fan from the side as it is idlying - if outta balance, you will be able to see the wobble.

your test right now would be to do about 20 miles @ 65mph.... if it heats up - go buythat radiator cap