From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diesel in a '50 special?

Chevy Power...Buick Class

The entire engine weighs in around 836 pounds. (2001 model I heard they are getting lighter).

With 4 valves per cylinder and crankin out 300HP and 520 ft lbs....stock.
    I have a friend who runs his 3500HD dually down the strip in 12 flat with just a computer tune, no performance parts needed here. (keep in mind that it weighs 6400 lbs!).

The stock amount of power is alot but since you will have to delete many things from the computer (emissions junk) if you buy a quality tuning system such as HP tuners or EFI live you can delete unnecessary items such as the rear O2 sensors. These also allow great tuning abilities(fuel,air,shift options, boost pressure,etc...).

You'd have enough torque to pull your car trailer comfortably at 100 in the air conditioning. The options are endless in these motors and if you go through with the swap you will NEVER complain about not having enough power.

P.S. look into a REALLY low gear for the axle...like 2.00:1 lol
    Put An LS1 in it and go!

My friends turbo cummins is what started me thinking about this. He has a bully dog controller nothing else, runs 12s after pulling his mustang to the track at 26 mpg. Thats hard to argue with. I also found a place in Iowa that sells a system to make your own bio-diesel for about 80 cents a gallon.

After seeing the weight differences are little to nothing I'm more intrigued than ever.

1950 Buick with Cummins

1950 Buick Sedanette with Cummins diesel in Sweden.
    short clip but worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5Tb0...eature=related

It's got me thinking of dropping my Benz Turbo Diesel in the '54 Super!

haha thats cool, hey Diesels are coming on these days, it would make a good all around driver! The Buick frames and suspension are built heavy to take a big load.

The latest issue of popular hotrodding has an article on a duramax powered chevelle. Dual turbos and other go fast stuff. I actually am more interested in how the tranny lives behind it as it puts out something like 1800-1900 ftpounds of torque, but the article is thin on that detail. I know this is an old thread, but I am new here.

Here is some Diesel Power inspiration

From Jay Lenos Garage: http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...ml?vid=1081518

And frome Banks Power, Duramax Performance Products: http://bankspower.com/app/index/1#

Have you considered the idea of putting a diesel 350 in the car? I have always thought that would be a kinda cool swap... Another engine I would think would be a really cool and feasible swap is the straight five (yes, five) out of the Canyon...

Later
    KFD

The 350 had a lot of problems not the least of which was longevity. I want something I don't have to worry about for years. The straight five is a good engine in the canyon but this car probably out ways that truck buy a ton so I don't think it drive very well.

So far the biggest problem i've found is gauges. With out building a custom wiring harness (which sounds scary to me) I don't know if the stock gauges could handle a 12v system. Anybody know if that's true?