From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buick 455 in a 77 T/a ??

Buick 455 in a 77 T/a ??

like the title says....my 400 pontiac has some problems and i'd like to rebuild it to about 600 rwhp...at this time all I can afford is a simple rebuild. so I am gonna leave it out till then and drop a complete from carb to oil pan and pulleys buick 455 in a 77 trans am.

I think I have found some engine mounts from trans dapt that are solid frame pads that may work with the 72 model 455's factory interlocking engine mounts. they should be in monday or tuesday. assuming it will work my qestion is ....what type of headers from any buick body may work with the trans am k member. I heard a x body shares a common k member with the f body. I am tring to avoid custom built headers and the factory exaughst manifolds... anybody have any ideas....

I just did a little searching even though I should be asleep by now...I found these thread

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14903

455 in F- body

Ok old guy print .I used motor mounts out of 76 electra .Took pads out of 76 frame mounted to engine , dropped in engine bay Leveled engine side to side ,tack welded motor mount pads & pulled donor engine & tranny . Drilled new holes in subframe bolted mmpads in place , ground off tacks & done . My 78 camaro had air that didn't work & the heater & a/c box under hood on pass side had to be modified ,no biggy sounds easy if u say it fast but a the time it was a bit of a hair puller but it all turned out well . Watch your hood room i had to strip out all insulation all ribbing on factory hood scoop to get clearance, just don't say to hell with it cause its such a fun car to drive. Put all pst bushings up front andis it fun to drive. Later bake

Quote Originally Posted by m/w View Post
    Put all pst bushings up front andis it fun to drive. Later bake

I would not put those cheap little PST bushings in anything. Compared to say a factory Thompson units or Moog brand aftermarket units, PST pieces appear to be tinker toys.

455 in F- body

Quote Originally Posted by Flynbuick View Post
    I would not put those cheap little PST bushings in anything. Compared to say a factory Thompson units or Moog brand aftermarket units, PST pieces appear to be tinker toys.
    Well my friend there's nothing puny about the kit I installed, it was same dimensions as factory , also i should not have used pst the kit i put in was competion engineering . Still made hell of a difference in handling , soon as i can afford new rear springs & shocks i will put in the back 1/2 of the kit. Are all these kits the same thing different name? And each to his own . Later bake.

Just curious if & how the engine swap is going. Forgot to tell u that i had to run a gas line up the passenger side of the car Don't know which side the pontiac one runs on, the stock chevy one runs on drivers side ,a guy could run rubber line till the weather warmed up & then run a hard line .Later Bake

its going terrible. I just sent u a pm. before reading over this thread again. now I see how much you went through. after waiting weeks because of a screw up from trans dapt. they still sent one that was not as pictured and certainly wrong bolt pattern for a t/a frame. I was going to hack it up and make it work till i saw how poorly it was made. the bolt tubes were welded in crooked. I sent them back with a full refund. bought some moroso mounts for a camaro and cut them down to what looked like it would work.

tried to lower it in yesterday and the frame pads bottomed out in the buick engine pads a few inchs from bolt tube lineing up. the buick engine I guess is wider than the pontiac engine I pulled out. I really don't have the resources to weld a do alot of fitting at my apartment.. they already put a warning tow away sticker on it once. we aren't supposed to be working on cars in parking lot. I do have a garago its parked in front of. but the garage is full and the car won't fit...

basically I screwed with the only choice is to sell the buick and rebuild the pontiac 400 thanks for the input. but i gotta do something soon

Shoot sorry brother been busy lately & haven't been on the board i'm really sorry for u this is not a drop in like chevy . Are u using the original 455 mounts cause with out modifying the subframe pads the engine would bolt in (after new holes in sub frame drilled) . if u have cowl induction hood should work. Wish i had pics to show u .Also i didn't realize u were parking lotting it best to u and good luck. Later bake

just as an update...I deceided to weld the mounts in...I pulled them off the frame and put em on the motor and lowered it in... bought a welder and after got the trans bolted up...then I noticed how close the e manifolds are to the control arms...its really close...these are solid motor mounts so it won't give but dam...its probally an Inch of clearance. headers are out of the qestion...as far as the pads...it sits about 2 inchs or more higher in the k member compared to were the pontiac would've bolted in... this swap is certainly possilbe...but not were I'm doing it.. I found a another complete 400 pontiac w trans for $ 500...running... I checked all the gaskets, heads and intake for tears and found nothing..there must be a crack under a valve or in cly. bore.. buying the other engine may be easier...but I am gonna take another look at it...I still have my fan box on the firewall...so the engine kindve sits to the front.. I don't know what the electra mounts look like but these motor mounts are a 2 piece design with rubber between and 2 different mounting holes....

thanks for the help..