From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowering a 63 LeSabre

Question Lowering a 63 LeSabre

HELP!!!! I got a 63 LeSabre 2 door and I'm trying to figure out how to get it put-it-in the-weeds low.This is my first try at restoreing and customizing and any information would be greatly appericated!!!!! Air bags are too pricey and lowering springs are nice but i wan't them lower than a few inches. Thanks again!!!

i got a 62 4door id like to slam as well any help would be much appreciated
    1962 Lesabre 4 door seadan
    2007 honda element (at least its american made by UAW workers in East Liberty OH)
    09 Chevy AVEO (100% percent korean assembled, 70% korean parts, 1% usa and canada parts,) Which one is the domestic again i am confused?

The only way you'r going to get that slaming it down to the weed's look is hydraulics,and wait till you get the price on that.
    Taco
    SEMPER-FI

The only way your going to get that slammed in the weeds look is with air bags or hydraulics. Though hydraulics will not give a good ride, and you have install batteries that are heavy plus take up a lot of space. I personally have installed a complete air ride system from air ride technologies on my 67 LeSabre. Installation was easy and I didnt have to cut up my car to bad. The car handles good, I get that slammed in the weeds look, I can install big wheels, and turn a corner. If you cut or install to low of a spring your tire might end up hitting your wheel well when turning.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, I recommend cutting your springs. People may argue against this, but they are broken in. Meaning your ride hieght will be what you cut your springs to no matter what. With a new spring it is going to settle, and so the intended ride hieght might get a inch lower in the future leading to possible problems.

I highly recommend at least considering air bags. I got around $5,000 in my setup, but its some of the best parts you can buy. Air ride technologies does make a system for your car. You would have to get shockwave system for the front, and a cool ride system for rear. Front bags are $899, rear bags are $425. Also the tank, compressor, valves, line, fittings, and electronics is around $1500 (comes in a kit). So its just shy of $3,000, not to bad. After all restorations are not cheap, and this setup will give you the look you want. Check it out at www.ridetech.com.

Swing low sweet chariot!

Do a search for KaleCo Auto's budget lowering kit. It's by far the cheapest and best around. Look under appearance when you find their site. I'm confident that you'll have nothing but gratitude for me when you see their prices!
    Last edited by BigRivy; 01-10-2009 at 01:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Lightbulb thanks for the responses!

Thanks for the replies and the info. I'll check out the site on the budget lowering kit. Althogh, I'm really broke cuz of a lay off and going to school so doing what i can on little. I would love the air bag setup, but for now i'm probally just going with the spring cut. Air bags are something i'm going to look into in the future. I found a site that had some springs and air bag kits for reasonble price.

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/196...ering-Springs/ I believe the kit is a universal setup, but i'm not sure.

Now if I cut the srings, what other mods do i need so I don't eat up tires and have go decent down the road?

Anyways, thanks much for the help and information!!!

Talking great site

bigrivy why would you do that to me? Although i did order that kit and had it sent to you! Enjoy 'em
    Last edited by 63 lesabrejunkie; 01-10-2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: type-o

lowering a lesabre

its a tough road to lower you car if its not a chevy! I've got a 63 lesabre wagon and had the same problem. I looked at a napa coil spring catalog and checked the measurements against my stock rear springs. The problem with the rears is they have the pig tails on the top and bottoms of the springs (smaller coils), so you cant cut them and expect them to fit right and not bounce. I happend to be at a swap meet and a guy had a set of coil springs off his 2001 yukon that had both top and bottom pig tails just like my rears on my wagon. i bought them for ten bucks and checked them against mine. They are two inches lower than stock. The fronts can be cut or possibley install lowered springs from an impala.

Hey I just seen that jcwhittney sells a kit to compress your stock springs. They say it can drop your car 3". I seen them in the truck catalog there is a couple differnt styles. Has anyone used these? I was thinking of using them on the rear of my 62
    1962 Lesabre 4 door seadan
    2007 honda element (at least its american made by UAW workers in East Liberty OH)
    09 Chevy AVEO (100% percent korean assembled, 70% korean parts, 1% usa and canada parts,) Which one is the domestic again i am confused?

Coil spring clamps have been in use for lowering cars since the 50's. Just another way of doing it. My experience has been that after the springs have been clamped for an extended period of time that they will not come back to the original height if you decide to take them out. Springs will sometimes,after a while, break when clamped like this also. They are cheap and fast/easy though.