Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: help me with this nailhead...

Just an observation and not really related to your issue but you might want to have your friend fix that radiator hose as well....might lead to a slight overheating issue later

haha, yeah that hose. its going to get changed for a regular hose as soon as i get the radiator fixed. funny thing is that hose expands to normal size once the pressure starts to build up. still not a good choice to keep that thing.

Nailhead

Is the fuel cap vented?

ah, good one. i think its not. its got a very tight rubber seal on it. unfortunately the truck did run well 1 day. just after i had changed the points and condenser i drove it to a buddys house some 10 minutes each way. it even burned rubber.

i am certain its a fuel problem now cause the fuel pressure gauge read about 3psi today while it ran for a minute before cutting off. there was small dirt like stuff in the glass filter. tomorrow morning i am going to check the filter at the entry of the carb (both front and rear).

lesson learned.

so i checked the lines after the electric fuel pump for clogs. nothing there.

so i checked the pump by letting it pump to a bucket. minimal gas pumping.

so i try from a bucket of gas back to a bucket (checking the pump itself). minimal gas pumping.

so i say let me try it without this "glass filter" (i had already removed the screen element inside). bada bin bada boom! we got FLOW.

apparently the glass filter (even without the filter) was too much restriction for the pump to pull through. the pump has an inline filter just at the supply side so 2 filters are not needed. please note, most of this stuff was like this when i got to working on it, so sometimes its best to go down to the basics before getting too complicated.

i gotta say i never had a nailhead, this thing is ballzy!!!

tomorrow ill take the radiator to get the leak fixed and replace those hoses!

Thank you all!!!

ahhh more problems!

so the truck has been running and driving great around town. we get on the high way for say 25-30 minutes and it shuts off!? what gives? where do i even begin to look. it cranked right up again ran a few more minutes only to shut off again. so off the highway down to city streets, no more problem made it home.

could the fuel pump not provide enough fuel to the Holley carb at high way rpms?

please help!

straight 8

Tylerdurben,
    When it quits, does it just shut oof, or does it surge? When it first shows any signs of a problem, if you put your foot in it does it just coast to a stop, or surge up and down? This could separate electrical from fuel problems. Doug

fuel

May want to check the pick up tube in the tank, they often have a "sock" filter on the end that can clog up. sometimes i could go 7 or 8 miles before it would die, then when the pressure was drained off the sock would unfold and go o.k. , hard rpm's would cause it to last a shorter distance then at idle or min rpm's down the road.
    Also to check if it is electrical, you can run a wire off the hot side of your coil to a 12v light ( i used a marker lite, 1.50 at a parts store)laid on the dash with a wire going to ground. When the car dies see if the light stays on or not, lets you know if there is a loss of power.
    Last edited by 2dhardtop; 02-18-2009 at 09:45 PM.

excellent. ill go on that. also read through the Holley spec / tech sheet link and there are a few minor things that are not as per the specs. so ill check that too.

thanks, any other ideas?

Photobucket sucks! Go try Image Shack. From what I know, they donīt have a bandwidth limit.

Good thread though.
    Pictures say more than words sometimes.
    Just a Chevy guy Playing with a Nailhead.