Thread: 1969 skylark progress

1969 skylark progress

Well, I am slowly making headway but every step is slowed by rust or other problems. I can't seem to get the sway bar links back in. My thought is because the car is on jacks. I do have the glass and door panels back in. Also the engine/trans/rear diff are back in. I've got some more rust repair on the right inner fender where it used to attach to a battery tray (missing). I've ruined three punches trying to remove the rollpin on the distributor gear. Things just are not going smooth for this restoration currently. Any thoughts on the sway bar links. I've got to be missing something. Also, what's everyones thoughts on ignition? Leave stock points, convert to pertronix, or HEI? Thanks Tony in Idaho
    Last edited by abranz; 01-01-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: addition

Sway bar links can be a pain... I am not sure how they make them line up so poorly in everything. Yes, I am luck enough to have a hoist and place a jack under the a frame until it lines up as well as possible. Be careful jacking a car on jacks or hoists!

The roll pin in the distributor should come out easily enough. I support the gear on a slightly open vise and use a straight punch, not a tapered one or the proper size.

There is nothing wrong with a points distributor. Like any distributor make sure there is no play in the shaft.

Good luck

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Wink

Ive done 3 swaybar upgrades,allways with the car on the ground,even then it can be a hassle.On the points vs. electronic,my opinion is since your in a cold weather climate(like me & Bob)if your going to use the car in winter an electronic conversion will give you a quicker start.I use the Crane xri in 2 of my cars with no problems.Ive seen too many complaints about the pertronix,including from my distributor builder(John Osbourne,who called it junk).But toss your old points in the glove box just in case
    JAMIE MCCLINTON
    STARTER/ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR REBUILDER SINCE 1979
    selling buick mini starters & alternators
    startncharge@rocketmail.com
    65 Special convertible
    69 Special Deluxe
    Lost to garage fire:
    69 cali GS
    72 Suncoupe

Thanks guys. I will never drive this car in winter. The great state of ID has decided to use 100% salt during winter which is about 4 months long here. I've done too much rust repair on it allready.
    I wish I could show some pics to everyone. I'm pretty proud of it. I remember learning to drive in it with my grandfather during the seventies.
    Tony

Well I figured out why the roll pin in the dizzy would not come out. The gear had spun and I was pounding on the main shaft! I took it all apart, cleaned/polished everything and will go to napa tomorrow looking for a roll pin. What an ordeal.
    Tony

I've always had real good luck with the stock H.E.I. setups. They bolt right in, one wire from the fuse box and your good to go for many miles of happy motoring. They can be kinda pricey if your building one from scratch with all new parts, but if you can find a used one that is complete it should be fairly economical. Your troubles with driving out the roll pin in your stock dist. are surprising, they usually come right out. Maybe your punches are of poor quality. You might also have to bring the front wheels closer to the ride height they would be at when the car is on the ground to get your end links in. They can be a pain, but like anything else, keep at it and you'll get it.

If the gear spun, I'd be worried about putting that back together.

At least, I would buy a new steel gear, but I would also suspect that the holes in the shaft areno longer round.

BTW Do not buy a bronze gear unless you intend to swap it out shortly after break-in.

Why did you have to remove the gear, anyhow?

-Bob C.

I have been restoring the car and the disytributor needed cleaning. I felt disassembly, cleaning, rebushing was in order so I began. The gear looks fine and I was able to replace the roll pin with another which was a tight fit. Tonight I will reassemble the carb, reinstall the fuel tank. Hopefully next week I can hang the front fenders/hood/grill/bumpers. I literally disassembled and rebuilt every system in the car and painted it midnight blue. I spoke with my neighbor who was a mechanic for 40 yrs and he stated spun distributor gears where no to uncommon, especially on Fords. Just a interesting note.
    Tony