From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: 69 sportwagon

69 sportwagon

Hello all,
    I have a 69 Skylark sportwagon with a 350 2 barrel, and want to put a 455 4barrel in from a 72 riviera. DOes anyone know if this is a bolt in with the proper motor mounts or if there is more work to it than that?
    I am also asuming that I will ne a new transmission for.
    Thnanks

The swap should be fairly straight forward. Put the big block frame pads on it and it should drop right in. You will not have to change the transmission. Both have the same bolt pattern. You will need the 455 flex plate as they are not interchangeable with the small blocks. You may have to stretch the wire loom a bit to get it to wrap around the front of the engine and all the way back to the starter on the 455 as it is a bit larger. Also a good time to inspect the hell out of the wire loom as it likes to rub through the insulation where it comes off the intake and goes down the front of the block. I've had problems in that area on 2 of my personal cars. The fan and shroud are the only things I'm not sure about on this swap. You may need a different shroud. See if you can get the one from the Riviera donor car that you are getting the engine from. It may work without too much trouble. I'm also assuming that you are getting the 455 brackets with the engine. The brackets are similar and some do interchange but the alt. adjusting bracket is wider on the 455. I think the top AC bracket is too. You should be able to handle all this without too much trouble. This is one of the easiest and most natural swaps I've ever done. Good luck.

I will add that new wiring harnesses aren't too expensive ($200 or so) and are easy to install, especially with the engine swap. They will add tons of reliability to your car, to eliminate all wiring problems! And you can order one for the big block since you are replacing it anyhow. Highly recommended. This is a standard procedure for me on any old Buick I buy, takes about 1-2 hours to do the swap.

You will also need to change your exhaust pipes, they don't match up in the same location.

And a bigger radiator wouldn't hurt, depends on the condition and size of your present radiator.

You'll need to re-bend or replace a few fuel lines. Try to avoid the rubber hose trick, they can leak- stick with steel.

You might also need some different radiator hoses.

in theory you might need to replace your front springs (especially if worn) but the big blocks aren't very heavy so if yours are in good shape you can leave them.

Then motor mounts and frame pads, and fire her up!

-Bob C.