- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 64 TH400 trans

64 TH400 trans

Hi guys, first time post. Earlier this I purchased a #'s matching 64 Riv with a bad motor???. I've rebuilt the 425 and have TA Performance shorty headers to put on it, I've pulled the tranny and replaced front and rear seals,modulator. My question is this: Should I put in a shift kit and a stall kit and is it really a 2 speed automatic (my mechanic says it's 3 speed but my console says 2)?
    I used to have a 65 Riv GS . Thanks,Goat

The ST 400 in 1964 was a stand alone unit. There are only 2 forward gear positions, but it has 3 forward speeds. You need to ask Tom Telesco (Telriv on this site) as to the best mods for this trans. There is no direct shift kit that fits. Tom has his 64 Riv in the 13s with your trans doing the shifting. He specializes in these Nailheads and other older cars.

HTH - Steve
    Last edited by Dr. Frankenbuick; 12-15-2008 at 03:12 AM.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

64 TH400 Trans

Thanks Dr.Frankenbuick I'll ask Teleriv for advice.
    Goat

Hi All,

Either Im dense or just have a bad memory; can someone tell me what "Stage 1" vs "Stage 2" means when talking about the 455 Buick motor?

Also, it is my understanding that, after 72, the 455s, 465s - can use unleaded gas, whereas, before 72, you still should add lead additive to keep these nailheads running.

Ive put 40K on the '64 445 since I put it on the road, and have added lead to just about every tank. has that been a good move, or a waste of $?
    Thanks
    Butch
    64 Wildcat
    64 LeSabre
    67 Impala

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    Hi guys, first time post. Earlier this I purchased a #'s matching 64 Riv with a bad motor???. I've rebuilt the 425 and have TA Performance shorty headers to put on it, I've pulled the tranny and replaced front and rear seals,modulator. My question is this: Should I put in a shift kit and a stall kit and is it really a 2 speed automatic (my mechanic says it's 3 speed but my console says 2)?
    I used to have a 65 Riv GS . Thanks,Goat
    There is a mod you can do to firm up and quicken the shifts by drilling out the valve body plate orfice to 0.125.

You can also pull the govorner out and drill four 1/4" holes in the fly weights and remove one spring. This is supposed to increase the shift RPM a bit higher- from 4800RPM to about 5500 RPM, but I am yet to do this mod for myself. YET- being the operative word. But there is not much gain in HP above 5000 RPM. Nailheads typicaly go flat much above that. More importantly, make sure your switch pitch linkage is adjusted and is working correctly.

Butch- You don't have to add lead additive to your gas. You can run straight unleaded pump gas. The nickel content in the Buick iron prevents damage to your valve seats. Just watch what octane you can get away with buying. Too low, and detonation or "pinging" can become an issue.

You are probably better off asking the "Staging" question in the 455 forums. That is a good question. My impression has always been it was a Buick marketing thing... It believe it was centered around spring pressure at the valve based on a given combination which is realy no different than what you would do with any other motor.
    Hopefully I won't get flamed for showing my ignorance on this matter...

Erik
    See dyno break-in run here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuIKyzct4Sc
    See first dyno pull after overhaul here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWGYfCwEvO8

86 LX Police Interceptor (SS) 5.0 Mustang
    (wifes drag car)

What do you guys think about using the 64ST400 behind a 455?
    I know the gear ratios are a little different,from a TH400. Is there anything else I should be worried about?

Quote Originally Posted by kimb82 View Post
    What do you guys think about using the 64ST400 behind a 455?
    I know the gear ratios are a little different,from a TH400. Is there anything else I should be worried about?
    Uhhhh... Quite a bit actually. Not that it can't be done. The 64 ST-400 bell housing is for a nailhead. You are better off using the latter BOP Turbo 400 case behind the 455. If you are interested in the switch pitch feature there are aftermarket conversions to add the switch pitch converter to a Standard T-400. P.A.E. Enterprises is one such place off the top of my head. What would this be going in? You have to deal with flexplate and starter and also crank adapter, then there is the question of linkage and tranny lines and switch pitch linkage.
    See first dyno pull after overhaul here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWGYfCwEvO8

(wifes drag car)

The gear ratios are all the same on the the 400's being an ST400 or a TH400

455 stage question

Thanks Eric
    I think I got a good deal on this 455.. All indicators are that it has indeed been rebuilt. Notta lick of wear on rotor or inside dist cap + sparkplugs are about as clean as if they had been recently changed. The paint on the tranny cleaned up like new and the fluid is clean.
    Even tho the oil filter looks new, I bought a new one + I'm gonna drain and fill with syn 5-30.
    I'm mounting it on a dolly and gonna fire it up.
    I'm told I should go to a larger radiator (the LeSabre had a 310 in it) - thinking a radiator out of a Caddy with a 500ci, with an external tranny cooler.
    I was also advised to put a 3/8ths cable strap between the rear of the motor and the frame to absorb some of the torque - - any advice??
    I have to do some measuring, but do you know if the Drive shaft will need shortning?
    How much do you think I can get for the 310 Wildcat (alum heads & manifold)?
    Thanks for all the good info
    Butch

Need more info-Still don't know what this is going in. I'm confused if you are saying this is a Lesabre this is going in? Perhaps your existing radiator is sufficient?? but going bigger is usually a good bit of insurance. I like your idea.

There is no such thing as a 310 Wildcat. The Wildcat is a 401 and super wildcat is a 425 which is also synonymous with "nailhead" in the full line (264, 322 364, 401, and 425) the 318 was aluminum vertical valve that is not a Nailhead or a wildcat but looks similar. Distributor is in the front. There have never been aluminum heads for a wildcat.

So far it sounds like you have a good 455, but have you been able to do a compression test on it yet?

(wifes drag car)