- Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rebuilding a 401

rebuilding a 401

Im am thinking about doing a rebuild on my 401 nailhead sometime in the future. I think i would like to have a cam and maybe dual quads. What am i looking at in doing a rebuild? What should i know? How much would this cost? Are there cams available for nailheads? What kind of power can i expect?

Thanks for any imput

Nothwithstanding the factory rating I think most will dyno well less than 300 hp in fact based on the heads flow limitations. I am not sure anything is gained by the 2 fours but they look good. If you have some head work done you can get one to yield over 300 hp. Ted N. who is a member had a lot of work done on one by AMP and here are his dyno results:

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...light=dyno+401
    Last edited by Flynbuick; 12-04-2008 at 04:34 PM.

If you are interested in Nailhead flow comparisons you might like to refer to this link:

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/head_flow.html
    Last edited by Bob; 12-04-2008 at 07:39 PM.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

rebuld

I am in the process of rebuilding a 401. so far I have about $2800 invested. this is what I have done so far. new pistons, gasket set, recon rods, degrease block, bore block, new rings, new bearings, new cam, new lifters, mill heads, valve job, new valve springs, rebuilt oil pump, new rocker shafts, new timing gear set, and a balance job. I have been working on this project for two years and I hope to make smoke next week. Poston has cams for these engines. I have one in mine.

Hey thanks alot for the cam info. Im not sure when ill do it but i will look in to that. Doesnt sound like too much money either

Check also TA-Performance catalog
    http://www.taperformance.com/index.asp

They has hydraulic and mechanical cams and roller rockers for the nailhead.I have their TA-25 cam with Stage 1 springs.Engine gave in dyno 302hp with 750 Edel and megaphones which are not best headers.All other parts are stock stuff.

At the moment i build up 425.Its overbored to .060,TA-413-401 cam,7-key timing set,stainless steel valves,total head jobs with porting,hilborn efi set up and stainless steel roadster style headers.I will send dyno test specs and pics when i have time to go there.I´m too busy with my work.
    Last edited by hudroadster; 12-06-2008 at 09:04 AM.

Hope you put some block fill in that .060" over 425!!!!! In the Buick chassis manuals they suggest only a .010" overbore. Hope you had the block sonic tested for cylinder wall thickness beforehand.

Tom T.

Quote Originally Posted by hudroadster View Post
    Check also TA-Performance catalog
    http://www.taperformance.com/index.asp

At the moment i build up 425.Its overbored to .060,TA-413-401 cam,7-key timing set,stainless steel valves,total head jobs with porting,hilborn efi set up and stainless steel roadster style headers..

Was an 60/1000" overbore necessary to clean up a cylinder?

Nailheads don't give the big dyno numbers since hp maxes out at around 4700 rpm due to reduced air flow. They do make excellent low and mid-range power, so they're great street engines....How often do you rev over 5000 anyway?

The builds Jim mentioned had some headwork, headers, and nice cams. Power was under 380hp. My big cammed, headers, dual quad 425 seems to be in that range as well, as it'll propel my 3800 lb GS to 102mph in the 1/4.

Start the rebuild by measuring the bore. Go with the smallest overbore that you can. Cast pistons run $300, forged $800.
    Tight valve-to-piston clearance will limit your cam choices. More cam than a Poston NH400 or TA 25 or 30 will require valve refiefs in the pistons...and the cast pistons don't have alot of material there.

Heads will often require new valve guides....press 'em out, and press new ones in. DON'T install hardened valve seats....the heads are too thin. My buddy just found a cylinder full of water on his fresh rebuild from leaky valve seats.
    A basic head rebuild will run $600 easy...new guides, springs, valve job and seals. Cut the guides down if you use a hi-lift cam.
    Buick guru Greg Gessler will rebuild your heads for $900, with all new parts...a worthwhile deal. Porting will cost extra.

Tom's roller rockers are awesome...they'll give another 0.050" lift on most cam choices without excessive duration or drivabilty issues.

Compression ratio on a stock rebuild will be in the upper 9's with stock steel head gaskets, and in the low 9's with the thicker Fel-Pro gaskets.....not the 10.25 that is advertised by Buick.

Melling still makes timing chain sets and oil pumps. Autozone.com has good prices on those, as well as Fel-pro gaskets. Good main bearings can be hard to find....but I just bought a set of old Michigans for $9.95 on e-bay!

I just completed a 'more than stock' rebuild on a 401. Will be firing it up soon!
    Walt
    65-66 GS's

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All good advice!

Check out my dyno pulls and info that I have posted on the V8 Buick board. Should give you an idea what you are looking at... Just follow this link:

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=115156

Erik
    See dyno break-in run here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuIKyzct4Sc
    See first dyno pull after overhaul here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWGYfCwEvO8

86 LX Police Interceptor (SS) 5.0 Mustang
    (wifes drag car)