Thread: Fan shroud for 1960 Buick Electra 225

Fan shroud for 1960 Buick Electra 225

My 1960 Buick Electra 225 convertible does not have a fan shroud on it.
    When driving, everything is fine.
    But when the car is stopped in traffic jam, the temperature rises to high.

Someone (in a French american car forum) told me that in the late fifties and early sixties, only cars with factory A/C had a fan shroud.

To solve my problem, I want to add a fan shroud.

If a Buick 60 owner has one on his car, I'd like to have some pictures of it (to try to build one).

Otherwise, if I can find one for sale at a reasonable price ...

Shrouded in mystery

I think that by 1960 it did not matter if the car had AC or not. Fan shrouds were fairly standard in most cars. If you cannot find a shroud or info on how to make one I think that I would put a thermostatic controlled electric fan on it. Several aftermarket companies sell them. A very large radiator might take 2 fans, but their are kits for them too. I don't think that they are terribly expensive either. Go to a performance parts website like Jegs or Summit and I think they will have them as they are commonly sold to racers and street rodders. Then you could ditch the stock fan and maybe gain a little efficiency benefit from not having the parasitic drag of the fan spinning when you don't need it. Good luck.

My 60 Invicta sedan runs hot too. I am flushing the rad and adding a Kenlo fan. This will be thermostatically controlled, with a manual switch on the dash so I can flip it on whenever I want to (as in slow traffic). It's not installed yet but I'm hopeful this will do the trick. The fans are not expensive.

I don't think the fan shroud is your problem. My non-airconditioned Electra 225 (early one - built approx. Nov '59) does not have one and there are no cooling issues. I believe your problem is related to a gummed up cooling system and/or incorrect thermostat installed. I would replace the thermostat and have the radiator "rodded" to remove any obstructions, and run a cleaner through the cooling system (with heater valves open). Tartaric acid is a good and cheap cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by 60electra225 View Post
    I don't think the fan shroud is your problem. My non-airconditioned Electra 225 (early one - built approx. Nov '59) does not have one and there are no cooling issues. I believe your problem is related to a gummed up cooling system and/or incorrect thermostat installed. I would replace the thermostat and have the radiator "rodded" to remove any obstructions, and run a cleaner through the cooling system (with heater valves open). Tartaric acid is a good and cheap cleaner.
    Thanks for the advices

I already used the solution of an electric fan on a 1969 Mustang without fan shroud I had before the Buick; the electric fan was activated by a thermal sensor on the radiator or the switch located on the dash.
    I works fine but it's not a "stock" solution.

On the Buick, the thermostat looks OK. There's an extra temperature sensor in the hose between the engine and the radiator (just after the thermostat) and a gauge on the dash so I can monitor exactly the temperature (I see when the thermostat opens : at around 70°C).

The idea to try to clean the cooling system is good; I'll try to do it.

However, I believe an fan shroud could also help.