Thread: 62 Lesabre rebuild

Arrow 62 Lesabre rebuild

Ok so i am kinda new here I am on my 3rd buick and the oldest 1 I have had. It is a 1962 lesabre 4 door post. Engine, Trans seam to work flawlessly with the exeption of a couple minor leaks. I plan on upgrading to the 68+ master cylinder. I want to pull the body off because the underside of the floorboards are scaleing really bad, I do have a 2 post lift in my garage to help lift the body off of the frame But, My dad and my uncle who have been building hot rods and customs since the 50s tell me this is not worth the work and i would be setting myself up for alot more work then this 4door is worth. They recomended powerwashing the underside and using a rust converter and roll on bed liner material since i plan on this being my daily driver in the michigan summers.
    So What do you think?
    1962 Lesabre 4 door seadan
    2007 honda element (at least its american made by UAW workers in East Liberty OH)
    09 Chevy AVEO (100% percent korean assembled, 70% korean parts, 1% usa and canada parts,) Which one is the domestic again i am confused?

That is the voice of experience talking. In light of the model , year and intended use I am with your uncle and father.

Yes upgrade your brakes but keep body work as your dad has suggested. Drive your car to have fun and enjoy it .
    John
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

What to do?

ok well it seams that the only one who thinks this is a good idea is me, So scratch the frame off. Anyone everdone or seen a four door convert? I have done the a couple of pickups with a removable roof. My concern here would just be the amount of reinforceing that would be needed on the huge 4dr. Does anyone know if the convertables had beefed up frames? Are the 4dr hardtop doors built stiffer because of not haver the metal channel around the window, do you have any? It would need considerable amount of rocker panel reinforcment possibly a roll barr/cage to hold the sides together Plus in case of rollover? I really wanted a convert anyway but i had a fourdoor sedan budget. So far the only thing i know I am doing for shure is brake upgrade and suicide rear doors. Anyone have any ideas? I will be posting picks soon
    1962 Lesabre 4 door seadan
    2007 honda element (at least its american made by UAW workers in East Liberty OH)
    09 Chevy AVEO (100% percent korean assembled, 70% korean parts, 1% usa and canada parts,) Which one is the domestic again i am confused?

Anyone everdone or seen a four door convert? I have done the a couple of pickups with a removable roof. My concern here would just be the amount of reinforceing that would be needed on the huge 4dr. Does anyone know if the convertables had beefed up frames? Are the 4dr hardtop doors built stiffer because of not haver the metal channel around the window, do you have any? It would need considerable amount of rocker panel reinforcment possibly a roll barr/cage to hold the sides together Plus in case of rollover? I really wanted a convert anyway but i had a fourdoor sedan budget.
    Not trying to be Mr Negative here, but this is a *massive* project that will require much fabrication and reinforcement if it's ever to drive "right". Take it from a veteran of more than one "late night top chop", there's an awful lot of work to be done and cash to be invested in this, and for the same money a factory drop-top in good condition can be bought and paid for with plenty of $$$ left over for gas.

Again, not trying to be negative but that's my experience for whatever its worth.
    -Mike

1968 Special daily driver 285K "Roadmaster"

1969 Skylark 2dr 38K 99% original- gone but not forgotten

1992 Chev Lumina 3.4 project- just plain gone

and a '75 Ford Granada project for sale!