- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: timing gear / chain question

timing gear / chain question

I'm rebuilding my 1957 364 Nailhead. When I disassembled the engine about a month ago, I tagged and bagged all the parts. While reassembling, I installed the timing gear and chain and it looks like the back of the cam gear touches the block. I don't remember there being anything between the gear and the block when I disassembled the engine and I don't have any thing in my bagged and tagged parts, but when I looked in the 57 Motors Manual, it shows a "ring" and a thrust plate between the gear and the block. It also shows the thrust plate bolted to the block. My block does not even have a hole anywhere this area to bolt anything to. The manual picture says "All V8 Engines". I really don't think anything goes between the gear and the block, but I also want to be sure,as I don't want a screwed up engine. If anyone out there can help I sure would apprieciate it.

I'm fairly sure I remember correctly. Behind the rear cam plug on the back of the engine there should be a snap ring. This prevents the cam from walking rearwards. Also, don't forget, when you re-insatll the harmonic balancer the torque on the bolt is 200ft. lbs. MINIMUM!!!!!! Skip this step & you will be in the market for another balancer at the least if your lucky!!!!

timing gear and chain

Thanks for the info. I'm sure your right. The plugs and the cam bearings were put in by the machine shop that did the block and the heads and I never looked. The guy at the machine shop didn't know, but he said all chevy engines are made so that there is nothing between the cam gear and the block. In any case ,thanks for replying ,Tom

Smile cam gear

I just pulled my 57 motor down and found a slight rub mark on the front of the block where the cam rubs but no spacers -make sure the snap ring is in the rear for the cam to push on.