-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Just Bought a Straight Eight

Just Bought a Straight Eight

Last weekend I bought a straight eight and am trying to figure out what I have. I have checked the engine number in the reference section but the number doesn't match anything there.

Does anyone know of another reference I could try? Mostly would like to know what year the engine is. I'm pretty sure its a 263. I guess it doesn't really matter that much but I want to know what it is. Are there any year specific items to look for that may help pin down what I have?

Boy did I have fun getting the bellhousing off! Apparently the engineer who designed the thing had dyslexia. There was blood, lotsa swearing but I did learn a few things. So far, the engine stand is holding up. But the man that designed this thing....let me at 'em!

I now know how not to do the job.

The engine turned over very nicely with a wrench. The flywheel looks great. I'd bet it would start. I took a few pics.

I need tech info for the engine. Is there a manual available? You know, rebuild info, maintenance, tune up specs and procedures.

Thanks for any help guys, meanwhile, I'll keep looking around.

The people that make the Motor's automotive service manuals still reprint their early model edition. It covers roughly 1935 to 1950. This manual I'm sure can be sourced from several places. I'd start with amazon if your a computer guy. If not there try Motor themselves or go to a local repair shop and find out who their local Motor manual rep is ( it's usually stamped inside the front or rear cover) and get his number and call him. This book will have plenty of info you don't need, like V-16 Cadillac stuff, but all the info is dead on for accuracy. This is the exact book that a very large number of repair shops actually used when repairing these cars when they were still in everyday service. This book might be fairly pricey, but it's worth every penny, but with care will last longer than your ability to work on cars. I have noticed that the newer reprints have a gold cover on them, not blue like my old well worn original. I hope that is not indicative of their price. If that route doesn't work I'd find out for sure what year the engine is and go to a swap meet and look for a book vendor that has actual Buick factory service manuals and buy the one you need. There's almost always a book guy at any decent sized swap meet I've ever been to. I am now going to give an unsolicited opinion about putting straight 8's on engine stands. If you have your garden variety hobby engine stand, I think you are flirting with a dangerous situation. These engines were never designed to go on that type of stand. This should tell you why the "in frame overhaul" was so popular back in the day. And these stands were never designed for these kinds of engines. I would say at the very least get a good solid front support under the nose right away. Any time you have an engine that sticks out farther that the front leg of the stand you have a very unstable condition. Hell, throw a come-a-long over one of the rafters in the ceiling and hook it to a long bolt in the front of the engine if nothing else. I've worked in shops most of my adult life and have seen some crazy stuff when it comes to engine stands. Most of it easily avoidable. If you have a giant industrial quality diesel truck stand then disregard my comments. I have an older friend that spent 40 something years at the local GM training center teaching nothing but Buick service and I once asked him about this. He told me the comment about the in frame overhaul business. He also said that the factory didn't have recommended stands until the straight 8's had side mounts and then it was a giant horseshoe looking affair that bolted to the side mounts and flipped the engine end for end, not like rear mounted stands. The weight ain't the problem it's the leverage from the length. Use the best grade 8 bolts you can get and keep all women and children well away if you are going to persist in this endeavor. If you are gonna tear it down for inspection and overhaul then get to it. Get her torn down and off the stand. If you are just storing it and using it to using it for bragging rights to your buddies, then set it on the floor or build a factory crate motor looking stand out of 2 x 6's and put some casters on it if you need to move it around. Moving it fully dressed on a stand is downright dangerous especially for the hobbyist. Sorry for the rant. Good luck and happy Buick motoring!

Motor Manuals

Forget about amazon or calling the reps. I just got off ebay. If you need manuals I suggest you get over there and type in "motor repair manual". They got tons of 'em for cheap! Most of them don't have any bids on them. Pick the range of years that you need and pick the one that is in the condition you want. These books are very expensive when new. There looks to be some real bargains here. The downside is dealing with the sellers and waiting. I've bought books off ebay before, it ain't too bad.

The odds are that your number does work in the straight eights reference section. They are so simple they can be hard for some people to use. Take another careful look at "Identification by the Numbers".

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks guys. Bob, I'll look again.

BigRivy, we have a good, stout engine stand that has reinforcing braces on the upright and good, heavy tubing, and steel wheels. It actually holds the engine quite well. Its way better than the light-weight hobby stands that we also have. My brother and I are going to build another one for it anyway. I want to support it front and rear when I begin work on it. He's suggesting holding it on either side by the mounts and spinning it head over heels rather than supporting at the front and rear and spinning it the usual way.

We'll see which way wins out.

Ok, I think I figured out the engine ID. Looks like its a 1950. 1951 engine numbers begin with 62 and mine begins with 61. I'll go with that.

engine stand?? I thought the sraight 8,s had to be flip flopped around on the floor? The way we used ta do it. gggggg

If you can get a factory manual it gives you the straight skinny on straight 8,s.

books4cars.com

I use a piano dolly that I made specifically to fit, so the crank shaft hangs free. I can stand the engine on its bell housing and get at everything.