From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: 350 Chevy into a 68 Le-Sabre advice wanted

350 Chevy into a 68 Le-Sabre advice wanted

Hi guys,
    Don't ask why but i'm going to put a 350 Chevy and box into my 68 Buick Le-Sabre ... it's a long story mainly driven by lack of money.
    Has anyone any advice ( other than NO ) on engine & trans mounts etc or even better some pictures of a similar swap.
    John

Welcome to the board!

There are many things to consider for this swap:
    - Exhaust manifolds exit in a different spot, you'll need exhaust work
    - Wiring harness will have to be modified or replaced to suit the different locations for distributor, etc. (Are you going to do HEI? If so you probably don't need your resistor wire)
    - Bellhousing bolt pattern will be different, you'll probably be better off to switch to a Chevy bellhousing pattern tranny (but the crossmember will probably still work fine)
    - Like you said, motor mounts and frame brackets- but I assume you could find a donor car with a 350 and use those brackets & mounts
    - Radiator hoses will be different
    - You will probably need to change the power steering pump, or at least the bracket, I'm not sure
    - Your fuel lines will have to be replaced with new, since the fuel inlet location is different with the different carb
    - I *think* your throttle cable will still work okay, but you should check it out

By the time you replace all of those things, are you sure it will be cheaper? (Not criticizing, just asking!)

-Bob Cunningham

Thanks for the reply Bob.
    The engine in the car isn't the original one anyway so the wiring,fuel and throttle are not really a problem and the exhausts will not be too much greif either.
    I have a matching gearbox for the Chevy engine so that gets round that as well.
    I had a browse through the reference section on this site ( really good stuff in there ) and it seems that Buick and Chevy amongst others share the same body style. Does this mean that i may be able to adapt/use engine mounts from a chevy of the same type frame ? same for the gearbox mounts and prop UJ or am i reading into the information wrong ?
    As for the radiator hoses , well i havn't even thought that far yet !!
    John

Yeah, any Chevy "A-body" (chevelle, etc.) should have the same frame as far as I know. So it should use the same frame brackets. I'll bet that many sources (like summit racing or jegs) have frame brackets and motor mounts to put a chevy 350 into your a-body buick (since it is the same frame as an a-body chevy).

-Bob C.

except for the fact the LeSabre isn't an "A" body. I think an Impala would be the closest cousin to the LeSabre in the Chevy line up.

Doug
    67 Electra 225 Convertible
    BCA# 43125