• air adjust rear shocks

8 61.54%
  • New coil springs

2 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: 1963 Riviera Beef Up Suspension

1963 Riviera Beef Up Suspension

1963 Riviera...
    .. i recently picked up a nice 63 rivi, ...in great shape.. but shocks suck ..

it sits low and i can tell the transaxle is being stress when i drive it, but cant tell what is being stressed when i crawl under neath.

would like to beef up the suspension.. with an eye towards towing a vehicle trailer .. but a little confused about what fits.

.. can find air adjust shocks for front.
    .. stock shocks for back
    bilstein (sp?) shocks (ala porsche) for alot of $cash..
    .. also found some leveling kits..

cant find air adjust shocks for back..
    .. originally thought this was the way i wanted to go..
    .. dont want to bag it or anything like that..
    .. just be able to pull into your local 7-11 and plus up the pressure to haul a trailer..

so .. want to make sure i do the best thing possible..
    and nothin stupid..

any helpful hints out there?

thanks!!!!

Re: 1963 Riviera Beef Up Suspension

My recommendation would be new coil springs all the way around. Then add gas charged shocks in front and coil-over gas charged shocks in the rear. This should address 95% of your vehicle usage. For the other 5% when you'll be towing, I recommend adding Air Lift Bags inside your rear coil springs. I'd also make sure the Riviera is equipped with a rear sway bar.

This is the exact combination I went with on my 1965 Buick Special Wagon. I also have a custom fabricated receiver and use a weight distributing hitch insert with sway control when I tow. I did a trip from Las Vegas, NV to Bowling Green, KY in 2005 for the 25th Anniversary GSCA Nationals using my Wagon to tow a heavy utility trailer with my 1968 Skylark "GSX 455" Custom on top. The towing was rock solid and I never had any problems with the trailer, handling or ride height of the Wagon. (weight distributing receiver insert allows for transferring trailer weight to the front wheels of the tow vehicle)

The whole combination weighed in at 10,360. Rear axle ratio in the Wagon is believed to be a 3.23 posi unit which could stand to be taller. Engine is 455 with Turbo 400 transmission. You can see photos of the towing combination, the hitch and the rear suspension set up at http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=5oqfg2z.c3wkpzbz&U y=fr84uv&Ux=0

Suspension woes on 63riv

Hello there new to buicks just traded a 55bel air for a 63 riviera and found several things wrong with the car the motor has been replaced by a modern chevy 350 (90`s vintage) along with a turbo350 or 400 tranny, when cleaning the car found the tiebar welded lower to help clear the oil pan (i am not sure for the reason) anyways i wanted to know if there is a company making spindle to spindle kits for this vehicle, i am suprised to find the this gm has a x frame instead of the normal frames, maybe the best route is to do a complete overhaul o the original setup, but do noy know if the bar will rub the oil pan!!!!! Also a company that sales parts for this car would be great!
    Thanks for your help
    miguel smith

Quote Originally Posted by 68 gs custom View Post
    my recommendation would be new coil springs all the way around. Then add gas charged shocks in front and coil-over gas charged shocks in the rear. This should address 95% of your vehicle usage. For the other 5% when you'll be towing, i recommend adding air lift bags inside your rear coil springs. I'd also make sure the riviera is equipped with a rear sway bar.

This is the exact combination i went with on my 1965 buick special wagon. I also have a custom fabricated receiver and use a weight distributing hitch insert with sway control when i tow. I did a trip from las vegas, nv to bowling green, ky in 2005 for the 25th anniversary gsca nationals using my wagon to tow a heavy utility trailer with my 1968 skylark "gsx 455" custom on top. the towing was rock solid and i never had any problems with the trailer, handling or ride height of the wagon. (weight distributing receiver insert allows for transferring trailer weight to the front wheels of the tow vehicle)

the whole combination weighed in at 10,360. Rear axle ratio in the wagon is believed to be a 3.23 posi unit which could stand to be taller. Engine is 455 with turbo 400 transmission. You can see photos of the towing combination, the hitch and the rear suspension set up at http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&uc=5oqfg2z.c3wkpzbz&u y=fr84uv&ux=0

Re: Suspension woes on 63riv

Dear Miguel,

I'm only speculating, but I would assume the work done to the tie rod was done for the express purpose of clearing the Chivy oil pan. It's likely a previous owner had a motor or transmission issue and took the easy way out by replacing them with the Chivy stuff.

When I dropped a 455 in my '68 Skylark, I learned the hard way about oil pan locations. My motor came out of a '70's "E" body car which called for a center sump oil pan due to the frame design.

When we went to drop the motor into my Skylark, we found out right right away that it would not fit because the oil pan hit the cross member. So back out it came and it sat until I was able to come up with a rear sump oil pan and pickup tube from a wrecking yard.

I'm not familiar with good part sources for the larger "E" body cars, much less anyone that sells spindle to spindle kits for your Riviera. Try the Riviera Owners Association, Yardley's Buick Riviera Restoration or Buick Riviera Forum. I'd suggest going back to the original 401 Nailhead motor and Dyna-flow transmission. You might want to keep the Turbo 350-400 trans or even go with a 700R4. The transmission will likely not bolt up to a 401 motor but you can always get adapter plates from Bendtsens's Transmission Adapters.

I believe the frame on your car was changed in 1966 when the Riviera was redesigned so I'd be looking at sourcing parts from 1963-1965 model Riviera's. Restoring the car back to original engine and transmission combination should allow you to simply buy new steering parts to bolt on without any problems. Finding a good original Nailhead motor and transmission may be more difficult? I'd start with Google searches and eBay. Hope some of this helps and good luck.

5. Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 68 GS Custom View Post
    My recommendation would be new coil springs all the way around. Then add gas charged shocks in front and coil-over gas charged shocks in the rear. This should address 95% of your vehicle usage. For the other 5% when you'll be towing, I recommend adding Air Lift Bags inside your rear coil springs. I'd also make sure the Riviera is equipped with a rear sway bar.

This is the exact combination I went with on my 1965 Buick Special Wagon. I also have a custom fabricated receiver and use a weight distributing hitch insert with sway control when I tow. I did a trip from Las Vegas, NV to Bowling Green, KY in 2005 for the 25th Anniversary GSCA Nationals using my Wagon to tow a heavy utility trailer with my 1968 Skylark "GSX 455" Custom on top. The towing was rock solid and I never had any problems with the trailer, handling or ride height of the Wagon. (weight distributing receiver insert allows for transferring trailer weight to the front wheels of the tow vehicle)

The whole combination weighed in at 10,360. Rear axle ratio in the Wagon is believed to be a 3.23 posi unit which could stand to be taller. Engine is 455 with Turbo 400 transmission. You can see photos of the towing combination, the hitch and the rear suspension set up at http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=5oqfg2z.c3wkpzbz&U y=fr84uv&Ux=0
    GREAT PIC's,
    I used to race a 68 GS with a vintage, New at the time Wildcat motor. Wheelstands were common. Fast old girl.
    Love your wagon too. We used to pull our cars with a 67 Ford F-100 now it's show duty, and We use an Excursion. BUT when it comes to my 74 Gran Sport, we drive it everywhere. Reliable, Fast and Fun.
    Thanks what its all about.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Draginwagon (1970 Chevy Townsman I know it's a Chevy) but with a Factory LS-5 non-modified.