Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1956 master cylinder

1956 master cylinder

I am trying to put life back in a 56 Century Estate Wagon and need some direction. I need to take the master cylinder out for a rebuild. I recall reading somewhere that the unit comes out from under the dash by removing the brake pedal. Is this so, or does it come out of the engine bay. I got the brake switch, brake line and vacuum hoses of tonight and ran out of time.

thanks

Got it out from inside the car. One of those jobs that takes hours the first time, but would be real easy the next time. Hopefully there won't be a next time though!

Hi Long Roof !

Congratulations ! Have not seen your question before, but obviously you were able to help yourself.

Is it a Power Brake Unit you removed ? I am looking for a dual master-cylinder that I can replace my Unit with. The problem is the available room... If you have a Power Brake Unit, can you give me the measurements ? (overall length and diameter of the vacuum drum ?)

Thanks in advance from Germany
    Maikl
    A bad solution is applicable to almost every problem !

Maikl,
    I won't be back in the shop for a couple days, but I will get you some measurements. Keep us all posted on how your conversion works out.
    Steve

Thanks a million, Steve !

I have the problem that I am so far away and have to order and spend all the bucks first before I can find out whether it works or not... Thus, I am collecting information first!

My concern is, as a dual master is somewhat longer than a single master, that I will run into clearance issues with the wheel-house! But if vacuum drum of the dual unit is thinner, it might work. Somebody over there in the US acting as a guinea pig with his 1956 Buick would really be way better for me...

The guy who thinks he might have a Power dual master for me is Anwar from Brake Tech Solutions. Would be a 4/4-drum master (German legislation stands in my way for disc brakes) for USD 375,-.

Best regards
    Maikl

I measured the vacuum drum, it is 5 5/8" long and 5 7/16" diameter. Let me know if you need anything else.
    Steve

Maikl,
    What color is your car? Tahiti Coral?
    Steve

Thanks, Steve !

I wonder if it is possible to measure the available room forward of the firewall that is available for a master !? With the master installed it is impossible due to the lack of sight and room at the location. But through the opening in the firewall... !?

But thank you for the measurements of the unit as such and the picture so far.

Yep, that is Tahiti Coral. Seems a bit more into purple to me than the original tone (which is more orangeish), but that is dependant on the kind of neon tube you park the car under. The guy who did the paint job (35 years o/ ecxperience) said in all that time, THIS color was the most difficult to work with !

Best regards
    Michael

Hi Steve,

do you have the length of the whole unit also ? (firewall to tip of master cylinder) ?

Thanks
    Maikl

Maikl.

I have the master cylinder remounted, but I was able to check the overall length. From the firewall to the end of the master cylinder is about 10 5/8 inches.

There are two areas that might limit the size of a different master cylinder. Between the steering shaft and the top of the master cylinder there is only about 3/4 inch. Between the exhaust manifold and the master cylinder there is only about 1/2 inch. These are just approximations based on how much of my hand I can squeeze in the tight spots.

Hope this helps.

Steve