Thread: 1968 Buick Riviera

1968 Buick Riviera

Hi I need some "guy" help. My boyfriend used to help me with all this and unfortunately he passed away. I need to get my car back to the car shows as we won best in show every weekend! Have all the trophies to prove it too. Anyway, please help??? What kind of gas do I put in this thing? No I am not blonde, but am at a loss because he took care of everything! Thanks anyone.......

When it was new, it would probably have liked Premium, the good stuff.

Who knows what has happened to it since new, so try what you like. If it knocks using a lower, cheaper octane, then try a higher grade.

Good luck at the shows!

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

thanks

i know he used to put amoco or bp in it, premium, but does it need a lead additive? i didn't know if this year car needs lead in it? thanks, Lyn

You have a Buick 430. No more than you drive it I would not worry about lead additives. Just use pump gas premium and go. I would avoid gad with ethanol added if I could.

Type of fuel

As stated the 430 runs best on premium fuel, the higher the octane rating the better ! Additional lead additives are not needed.
    Randy Hunter, ROA 155 - '68 Riviera GS (clone)
    "Wouldn't You Really Rather Own A Riviera ?"

I would avoid gad with ethanol added if I could.

i thought pretty much every state in the country was requiring 10% ethanol now?

regardless, if you can find a gas station that sells race fuel ( normally a Sunoco somewhere near a circle track ) or AvGas ( there are many automotive gas stations out near the swamps that sell Aviation Gas to the airboaters ), you won't have any issue with ethanol.

if you have knock problems you could mix AvGas / Race gas half and half with premium and that should take care of any problem.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Talking gas

I would put 93 octane in and lead additive and 108 octane additive to help ,I put all that in my 1964 electra and I have not rebuilt the motor , I have 120,000 on the car and drive almost everyday....