Thread: 1971 GS 350 Rear Quarter panel cancer?

1971 GS 350 Rear Quarter panel cancer?

Well, I got cancer on my drivers side rear quarter panel on my 1971 Buick GS. Is the best way to take care of this Bondo? The cancer is the size of a nickle. I do need a new paint job and will most likely have some other dings taken out around the car.

Thanks, Scott

http://groups.msn.com/scottfisher/scotts1971buickgswebpage.msnw

http://www.hemmings.com/users/184896/gallery/1102.html
    Last edited by scottfisher; 11-01-2008 at 09:41 PM.

The first question is really how big it is and how widespread is it. Until you go in and do a detailed inspection after removing the paint you really cannot tell what you have. Often where it attaches to the rear wheel house is in bad shape.

A Tabco panel may be needed or perhaps it can be repaired.

Flynbuick, A Tabco panel ? Body work Hmmmm

Sept 26th 2008

Thanks for your time and response Flynbuick, A Tabco panel ? Hmmmm

I'll have to do a search on that one. A Tabco panel

Indeed I pulled the back window out and rear speaker panel.
    Man was that cardboard disintergrated by moisture!
    Anyway you know underneath the cardboard and sound baffle crap? where the rear speakers are/ Inside rear window, Some rust damage and disintegrated sheet metal. This was caused by the window leaking in turn rusted the metal speaker panel.
    Then there were rusty parts on the rear window lip. Where the clips on the lower part of the window are rusted. Napa ordered me the clips. It has rotted somewhat and goes into the trunk What I do need is to find a NEW good gasket seal/ Help! for the rear window as I saw there was one real old/ original when I pulled that seal off window to body, Gots any ideas?
    Original window as I know the back window is. Needs cleaning around the edges/ lip.
    Here's what I have on order:
    http://www.por15.com/
    I read on the web they have good stuff. Better than Nval jelly or whatever they call it now.
    Disclosure I do not have any affiliation or interest, just learning about all this. It's a hobby you know...

I seemed to have only kept pouring silicon on to band-aid the rear window leak year after years.

The trunk looks good. Heard cases of the trunk falling out...Yikes!
    Here's what I have on order till I get the thing quoted for work @ the suto body. None in mind @ this time.

PS, The cancer hole rear panel goes into the well in the trunk. Rusted out, I wish I could load some pic's up here to show ya.

Thanks,
    Scott

http://www.hemmings.com/users/184896/gallery/1102.html

http://groups.msn.com/scottfisher/buickgransportgsxpictures.msnw

1971 Buick GS tabco panel, Rear window seal, Auto lighting LEDS's and more....

Ahhhh "A tabco panel":
    http://www.tabcobodyparts.com/
    Look @ me go Flynbuick! LOL

Man, I hope not to go that far! $$$$$, and I'm cheap! LOL

Anyway I would probably also call my friend owner Steve also:
    http://www.gmsportssalvage.com/

So let me know, If you know for a rear seal, I've been really looking for one and all they have is crap on a roll @ the auto stores. Is there one?
    Need to find a good autobody shop to do the work locally...

PS: Electrically, Just relamped all exterior incandsent bulbs on the car with LED's.
    Man Flynbuick does that work great!
    I would recommend it on all cars. LEDTRONICS they have the LED clusters for cars, not cheap though but worth it and It's much brighter, faster to light, longer lasting on the brake lights/ flashers, Etc. This will help the stop the sidemarkers/ parking lights, brake lights, interior dome lights lamp sockets from deteriorating faster from the heat wattage/ melting plastic of the sockets / lacquering up the sockets from the laquer on the bulbs to the sockets, Etc.
    Remember there were no LED'S in the seventies!
    What a major improvement throughout the years!

"Write when you all can"

Thanks,
    Scott

Last edited by scottfisher; 11-01-2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: add new pic

If the rear window channel is really hurt you are going to need some metal repair. The window is sealed with a generic sticky seal that comes in a roll. It can be bought from many auto stores.

When the rear window has leaked for a long time usually you will see damage in the trunk. You may have to get a flashlight to see this damage on the sides near the rear wheels.

Rear Window seal repaired Nov 1, 2008.

Thanks Flynbuick for all your help.

I have taken the 71 Buick Gran Sport GS to a professional glass installer for trucks. He operates his own business. He has now re-sealed the rear window and put it back in.
    The front window was also removed by him and I bought a new front windshield that was installed. I'm glad he did it. He used fiberglass to fix any of the lips that were cancered' mostly in the rear window, and some black crap. Possibly the black crap is fiberglass also? It is all now sealed.

All this plus the new windshield cost me just short of $500.00, but really saves me in the long run for a higher bill, not to mention more costly work! I'm glad I did it. The chrome window molding for front and back is now off along w/ the windshield wipers. Next is the body work. I don't see that happening until ~ Spring of 2009.

The rusted cancer on behind the drivers side rear wheel needs to be repaired. He said he can do it for me w/ fiberglass? Some have said to cut it out and Mig weld a small panel @ the location? Then body it up. The rust is oblong and approximately three inches by less than a half inch in width. I can't see this happening until spring.

Your opinion on the fiberglass please?

Thanks,
    Scott

Last edited by scottfisher; 11-01-2008 at 09:35 PM.

Fiberglass is for a is short term repair on the cheap.

Fiberglass cancer rear drivers side behind the wheel/ Flynbuick

Yikes, I'd better give this some thought accordingly to your thoughts.
    I've had the car since 1984. Second owner.
    Got her going to this point in time. I'm addicted.

I'm looking for longer than I might be around. LOL

Say another 35 Years, Better continue to think it out for that long term.

Sure does take time, and bucks. I read here @ Team Buick, about this persons project car in the works ~ 10 Years now,

Thanks,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottfisher; 11-05-2008 at 07:01 PM.