Thread: I was told you CANNOT rebuild a 67 rivi rear end...

I was told you CANNOT rebuild a 67 rivi rear end...

Hello all...i am the proud owner of a chopped 67 Riv!!! I am halfway through a complete rebuild and now is the time to drop and rebuild the rear end. I stopped by the local drive line shop today and was told that it would be impossible to rebuild it!!! Not only did this sound wierd but the shop owner told me that it would include changing to chevy parts or a completely different rear end, such as a FORD!!! because no one makes a rebuild ring and pinion or a posi pack for BOP's???? Someone please HELP!!!

I assume that he is referring to the fact that no reproduction gearsets are made for the Buick 9 3/8" rear. Other than that his statement is incorrect.

can you please share what you know about the rear end. I know the car was not a GS but would like to know what the original ratio was from the factory. As far as looking on the axel tube 3 inch off center, i can't seem to find it or the x to indicate if it is a limited slip. Can this rear end be dropped and rebuilt? Can the diff be converted to a limited/posi? What parts are out there and where can I get them?

Thanks, Jake

Get the numbers off the ring gear to be sure of the ratio. This 9 3/8 version interchanges with 67-70 Buick big cars like Electras, Estate wagon etc. You would have to buy a used posi carrier if you unit is currently a peg leg. They are around.

Axle, carrier, front pinion & rear pinion bearings are all available. Along with seals & a crush collar. New ring & pinion sets as well as posi carriers have no afermarket support. So the only way is used. Posi plates to rebuild the posi units are also available. This guy just doesn't know anything about the Buick 9 3/8ths. rears. They were also available in Pontiac's & Oldsmobile's larger cars as well as most all large Buick's. If your looking for something in the performance ranges from 3.42 or higher, even used demands some crazy prices, especially with a posi. A standard 2.73, 3.07 or 3.23 ratios are the more common gear sets & don't demand the higher costs. Then again even a posi for these can get a little on the costly side. Checking local yards, e-bay, craigslist, racing junk.com are all viable venues.
    Good luck.

Tom T.

THANKS TO EVERYONE

Be sure not to get a 1971-1976 9 3/8 rear. It was changed from the pre 71 unit. Also a 66 and earlier unit is different.

covert this open diff to a posi?

I have done some research and given myself a crash course on diffs. So I cracked open my diff. I have found that it is a 10 bolt cover and a 12 bolt ring gear, open diff. It looks as if everything is in good shape and can be re-used. The million dollar quetion is this...are there spring and clutch packs available to convert this to a posi or should I leave it and move on???