Thread: 1955 buick heater hose routing

1955 buick heater hose routing

My name is Lee and I restore old cars at my shop in Memphis TN. I am working on a 1955 Buick Special with a V-8 engine and a dyno flow trans..
    I need info on routing of heater hoses and trans. cooler hoses
    Last edited by Lee; 08-25-2008 at 07:56 PM.

hoses

are you intressed in connections in hoses from radiator to engine and
    then to cooler transmission,then underseat heater and to defrost heater
    and then back to radiator.I wonder if any maibe has the connections
    in the club.I have connected the hoses in my way maybe wrong but she
    never overheated,the dynaflow runs fine,the warm in coupe is not so god.

sorry in bad spelling. Stubbe

Intressed in connections on hosing in 54 super,2 intressed in the same
    in forums.

I spent some time comparing notes with Lee tonight and I will post our conclusions for reference.

I have a '55 special 46R that came to me with some assembly required so this is not necessarily the exact way the factory did it.

The heater circuit runs from a port on the lower passenger side radiator to the heater control valve mounted in the fire wall, from there to the defroster core also in the firewall, out the defroster core to the underseat heater and then back a port on the drivers side of thermostat housing. On my car there is a shutoff valve mounted on the passenger side fender well between the radiator and control valve.

The trans cooler plumbs up to the two ports on the drivers side of the water pump.

I have the same issue as Lee has on my 55 Century. I understand how the heaters should be connected, but I don't have the connections on the driversside of the waterpump. So where should I connect the Dynaflow oilcooler then?

Thanks,
    Cees

Similar puzzle here.

Hi everyone,

I just picked up the beautiful girl seen in profile. She needs a little work, but is very drivable and has been well maintained.

Only problem is that there are a couple of hoses missing between the cabin vent holes, and the air/filter boxes mounted near the front of the engine compartment. (I'll edit and post pics later for anyone that isn't clear on what I'm describing)

The hose connections are 5" ID. Not sure what the thickness, material, or OD of the hose would be (I suppose OD would also depend on the material). The length between the two connections is approximately 7-8".

I'm a little tired of breathing in burning engine seepage and exhaust fumes.

There is a plug on the left (drivers) side of the upper crossover bar and that is where the dynaflo return connection is. The supply for the dynaflow comes off the water pump. There are 2 supply ports on the water pump.

The heater hoses run from the left side of the water pump down under the front seat to the heater then up to the firewall valve, to the defroster and back to the engine. This line can "T" into the return line for the dynaflow or use the other plug on the crossover.

Do Not run the lines for the transmission cooler through the heater control valve as it will not have any flow with the valve shut off.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

this may help

Lamar in Athens, Georgia BCA 39474

Join us on the '54 Buick Highway at
    http://www.1954buick.com

1954 BUICK "THE BEAUTIFUL BUY"

1954 Roadmaster 76R 2 dr ht, DoraB
    1954 Roadmaster 72R 4 dr, Buttercup, Dakota, BlueBelle, Virginia, Marietta, High Society
    1954 Special 41D 4 dr Blue Bird (daily driver)
    1954 Special 46R 2 dr ht TEXAS PETE
    1954 Century 66R 2 dr ht 3 speed 54Muscle