- 1957 Wiring Diagrams
- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 volt/12 volt conversion...how to do ?

1. 6 volt/12 volt conversion...how to do ?

Hi,

i would like to make a 6v/12v conversion in my 53 buick special. could anyone tell what parts i do have to order, to make this happen?

thanx and greetz

12v generator off later model GM if you want it to look correct. Or a GM 1 wire alternator if you don't care.
    12v coil and ballast resistor
    12v starter solenoid. (6v starter works fine on 12 volts)
    12v battery
    12 to 6 volt reducers for gauges and motors (heater etc.) Check this out for ideas.
    Change all your bulbs for 12v versions.
    Wiring can remain same gauge but I always rewire.

Mark

6 volts to 12

I wonder of the instruments gasmeter,ampmeter will work allright?

Stubbe,

Quote Originally Posted by stubbe View Post
    I wonder of the instruments gasmeter,ampmeter will work allright?

Stubbe,
    Amp meter doesn't care about voltage, Fuel gauge does. It may work but won't read correctly. Oil pressure and temp are mechanical on my '50.

voltage reducer for the fuel gauge at least. and don't forget the instrument bulbs! You'll find out pretty quick if you missed a bulb.

You can use the 6 volt coil, dist. cap, points. All you need to do is put the 6/12 volt resistor in the circuit before the distributor.

If converted can you then use electronic pick up in the dist. and msd box? I am thinking of doing mine for that reason.

1953 Special
    L8 6volt
    8 in a row make 'em go!

1959 Mercedes Benz 190SL
    1971 Chevrolet Cheyenne 20
    1980 Harley Davidson FXE

when you change your car setup from 6v - 12v, do you need to change some 6v powered part of your car? There's a lot of technicalities that is my very concern on this one some of the car's electrical components should be replaced when changing it to 12v

any reason to change to 12 volts??

Your car came with a prefect charging and starting system. A well maintained 6 volt system is every bit as good as any 12 volt system. Yes if you are adding air conditioning or rodding it this may be necessary, but the question is why? If your car is slow to start, find out why. Get the factory manual and follow it until you fix the problem. Changing bulbs, voltage reducers, rewiring who knows what to make everything work is pointless work, when the solution was to fix the problem.

6 Volt cars like clean grounds and BIG cables. If your 60 year old wiring harness is shot, up grading to 12 volts is not going to fix it. The only thing you would do is devalue your car. If you were to sell it and a person who really knew your type of car ( serious car collector) would most likely pass on it because they know it was messed with in a big way, or have an understanding that some other major electrical issues will need to be addressed. With a 12 volt conversion you may never get it right and still have to fix a starting or charging problem.

Once you go down that road of modifications, even thou you think it is an up grade you may never be able to go back. I say have your starter rebuilt, and check your charging system and make sure the motor is in perfect tune. It will be less work and not violate your car.

Just my opinion

joe