Thread: straight 8 overheating

straight 8 overheating

I think its the posting by n1gzd. some heating problems were discussed. I,ve heard of many different heating problems on straight 8 ,s and have experienced some with my 39,s.. here are some tips, may be helpful. on 1939,s there is poor air circulation due to not having enough air outlets under the hood. I had proved it by blocking the hood up when it got hot and let the hot air out and it cooled down. It seems that air comes in under the front grille and is directed under the radiator and it gets backed up underhood due to not enough air outlets in the engine compartment [behind the fan.] Also I cleaned out the block by pulling the freeze plugs and scraping out the muck inside the water jackets of the engine, with wire rod and water hose and bent copper tubing to flow water around the corners.. specially in the rear of the engine where it collects due to the engine tilt. you cant believe how much collects back there.[ clean out all of the water passageways if you can during engine teardowns] also a 5 blade fan the large series 8,s had big fan, and you can get an aftermkt fibeglas flex fan which i,v heard works good. I live in so cal and it doesnt get hot no mo.

straight 8 from he--

Thanks, I'm gonna try to get a fan first,as that would be a lot easier.
    Ray (fingers crossed)