Thread: A Buick Puzzle / Bench Seat

A Buick Puzzle / Bench Seat

Greetings,
    I am an actor and I have a puzzle for you knowledgeable buick folks.
    I am currently working on the play "Bench Seat" from the playwrite Neil Labute's autobahn play cycle. I want my role to be as perfect as possible, but I lack some of the knowledge to do so. Specificly, there is a referance to a type of buick,, but it is cryptic. The following is the referance,,

Guy: No, no...whatever you do, don't ruin the bench! (laughs) This is a classic, don't you know that?
    Girl: Sure. You've only told me, like, on billion times.
    Guy: It is, though. Buick only made this model for three years.
    Girl: Huh. Neat.
    Guy: Yeah, and with the back end like that, and the unique window shape. It's a real beuty.

So, If you have an idea, or know exactly what year and model this may be,, I would really apreciate it. And, if you are in Seattle this November, come see the show. We would love to have you. All of the plays in it take place in cars. The writeing is excellent, as should be the performances.
    Thanks again for any help you might provide, and, I believe the relevant clues are,,, 1) The car has a bench seat. 2) Buick only made it for 3 years. 3) A noteable back end. 4) Unique window shape.
    Yardking

What year was the play written?

Guy: It is, though. Buick only made this model for three years ... with the back end like that, and the unique window shape.

i about guarantee that the ref is to a 3rd generation or "boattail" Riviera. 1971-73.

you can see it as the primary ride of the US detective in the TV series "Due South" or you can check out www.rivowners.org or http://www.buick-riviera.com/

the wiki entry has a profile pic but that doesn't do much to explain the fascination with the car. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_R...281971-1973.29

check the links at the bottom of the wiki entry for other references.

all boattail Riv's came with a 455ci engine. big torque and a smooth ride were synonymous with these cars.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks very much for the hellp. The information you have provided as well as the link have proved very useful.
    The play was published in 2005 but first performed in New York City in 2004. Paul Rudd first played the role I am doing. (You have seen him in Knocked Up,, 40 year old virgin,, or as Phobee's boyfriend in Friends.) Amanda Pete played oposite him.
    Thanks again for the help.

Just another thought- many screenwriters aren't car experts, and maybe he was just making something up...

-Bob C.