Thread: 1957 Roadmaster - Air conditioning repair

1957 Roadmaster - Air conditioning repair

I have a 1957 Buick Roadmaster with factory air. Most of it is there and really all I am missing are the hoses. My question is if anyone knows if/how I can just upgrade to a new style compressor, evap and what not but retain the factory look? Maybe use the factory air box…Thanks in advance

Air Conditioning Upgrade

Short answer Yes, there are many aftermarket A/C kits that an be used to replace your stock unit. Companies such as Classic Air, Vintage Air, Hot Rod Air, etc.

By removing your old underdash evaporator, and routing the hoses, both A/C lines, then the defrost and A/C outlet hoses, etc., using electric servos, no vaccum needed for controls. You can hide the new control panel, and retain the orginal controls (no longer functional) to retain the dash appearance. A condensor the appropriate size to fit the stock radiator is also available as part of the package.

The problem is there is no company that produces the bracket to mount the 508 134R compressor to the 364 nailhead.

I installed the Classic Air unit in my 57 Century, fabricated my own compressor bracket. (not that difficult to do with 1/4" steel plate by taking careful measurents).

Since my car did not originally have A/C, you have the advantage of the Center Dash A/C outlet already in place, as well as the dash adjustable outlets.

I fabricated my own center twin center dash outlets, as well as two lower A/C outlets one on each side of a center console I also fabricated.

I placed the new control panel hidden behind a door on the center front of the console.

Additionally since my engine was not equipped with the extra pulley for A/C use with Power Steering, the bracket I fabricated for the Compressor which mounts above the generator, allowed for sufficiant belt coverage around the compressor, and then around the generator pulley to properly use a single longer belt eliminating the need for alterating the pulley system. Have been running the unit for about a year, great Cold Air, 508 compressors put very little load on the engine when engaged.

So if you have the fabricating skills, and measure carefully, you can do the same.
    Last edited by Silverfox031; 07-24-2008 at 05:59 PM.