From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: 1957 Buick - Chevy 350 install

1957 Buick - Chevy 350 install

Well it's nice to find such a large group of Buick supporters. I just got my first Buick, a 1957 Roadmaster and was at a loss for places to find good info and parts.

My first question for this board is - will a chevy 350 fit in a 1957 roadmaster on factory mounts? If not is there anyone making mounts or conversion kits to do this? I would also like to run a t350 trans if anyone has info on that install. As I said this is my first Buick and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engine change to 350

Short answer to all your questions is No. Along with fabricating your mounts for eng, trans, there will considerable modification needed for converting from the closed drive "torque tube" to open drive, along with a new rear, and rear modification to a 4 link set up and so on. Without the skills to accomplish this your self.........Lots of Bucks involved.........hope I did not Burst your Bubble..........

Last edited by Silverfox031; 07-21-2008 at 10:02 AM.

The best solution is to find a 71-72 Buick Estate wagon cheap. Use its more modern rolling chassis, drive train and accessories as the platform on to which you attach the 57 Buick body and interior. You will also get a 455 and a TH400 that has the torque needed to move the mass. Plus you will get the brakes need to stop the mass once it is in motion.
    Last edited by Flynbuick; 07-21-2008 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks for the info!

No bursted bubble...just trying to feel out what my options are as I am new to these old Buicks. I like the idea of using the estate wagon chassis.

Flynbuick - have you done this swap? Is it really as strait forward as you make it sound?

Will someone please explain the infatuation out there with putting Small Block Chevrolet engines in everything from Lawnmowers to Classic Buicks? I just don't get it.

Your Buick has a wonderful engine and should not be changed. If you are looking for a drag car, you selected the wrong car. If you want a nice ride and one that sets you apart from the rest of the crowd, you made an excellent purchase.

The nailhead is a classic engine that is getting more popular every day. There are many articles on how to build them and what to do with them. Parts for the engine are available, though not real cheap. I get many parts for my Buick from NAPA. You can get nice HEI ignition systems from many sources, that eliminates the unreliablity of a breaker point system.

I do, however, wish there were a simple way of putting on a more modern fuel injection system that works well on a street car. Holley makes their Pro-Jection system, that I guess is OK. Haven't seen a lot of interest in it though out in the marketplace.

Sorry to vent, but you really hit a nerve with me.

Your vent...

First off I am not changing out the nailhead in my Buick. When I posted this, 6 months ago, I had not seen the car or heard it run. It was my mother-in-law's car and a family heirloom. I wanted to see what my options were in case it showed up in really bad condition so I could get it running for my wife to experience.

Second, I have a race car and don’t need, or want for that matter, another. What I needed here was a well running 1957 Buick that reminds my wife of her mother and childhood. Which incidentally I got…this thing is unbelievable and the nailhead runs like a dream. Factory air and power everything...what an amazing car for 1957!

I thank you for your input but the elitist attitude is not appreciated. This forum is to help us all not to vent. I hope now you can sleep tonight knowing that my Roadmaster 75 will remain all original and intact...nailhead and all

Thank you,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by joppie77 View Post
    First off I am not changing out the nailhead in my Buick. ....

I thank you for your input but the elitist attitude is not appreciated. This forum is to help us all not to vent. I hope now you can sleep tonight knowing that my Roadmaster 75 will remain all original and intact...nailhead and all

Thank you,
    John

You know... I could have warned you that this was going to happen.. Ha! Buick owners are pretty passionate about their cars/engines. I was faced with this same dilemma awhile back. I'm now getting another nailhead to replace my existing motor which needs a rebuild.

I am hoping that the new interest in nailheads drives more companies to come up with more aftermarket parts for these motors thus driving the price down as well.. I hope. Seems everybody wants one now for everything from 32 coupes to rat rods. Big renewed interest in the Nailhead along with the Olds Rocket.

Love the looks of the nailhead and when somebody asks you what you have in your Buick, you say "nailhead" they want to take a look-see. Long live the nailhead.